I learne that while hav credentials and achievements is important, having a professi respectful relationshi with students is more important.
How important the biography is for both parties in order to form trust and relationships.
Influence, Persuade, Inspire and Engage that is what an instructor is called to do. To project presence in an online course, creating and modeling answers wiil give the student an example of what to reach for. Providing a short biography of myself including my Academic Achievement and Professional Experience will give the student cofidence in my ability to teach. Something I have done as an on-ground facilitator was to have the students fill out a questionaire telling me something about themselves. Afterwards, I would use some of the information in an assigment or email to let them know the assignment was read carefully and I was glad to learn something of them.
i learned the importance of projecting the authority and influence a personal and professional relationship with your students.
which i do and reinforce traditionally in the classroom.
Projecting my presence is important because I'm the instructor. The students need to know that I have the capabilities to teach them, trust, and that I know them and there for them.
A short biography, from a distance doesn't seem to be that difficult, if it gains students confidence.
I will try to keep it as personel as possible and engage the students in discussions.
I like the first day assignment of a biography of the student with prompts to be answered within the response/blog. This provides great information to begin that important teacher/student relationship
Let your students know you are there for them and have been where they are. Be relatable and available.
I've learned that projecting your presence for students from the very beginning is important. Students can find comfort knowing that you are transparent and approachable when it comes to discussion and questions. The idea of having students also write a short biography introducing themselves is a great way to get to know your student. This short biography should help me as the instructor to not only get to know my student, but also inform me of any special needs or concerns the student may have. I have also learned that the way we get to know students through E-learning varies from ground students in that their comments or expression of words may need to be carefuly analyzed in their writting and not take everything at face value. Students will somtimes have difficutly expressing themselves in writing.
I like the idea of the students submitting a bio, but I also feel like you only get their version of how they see themselves.
Its great to have a command on the lesson and a good realtionship with leaners as well.
There is so much more to online learning and it is important that I get to know my students, make sure they know me and give timely and consistent feedback.
I have learned how to build my course presence by creating a biography which highlights my education and interests. The instructor should assign the students a biography and get their contact information.
I learned that it is important for students to feel comfortable with you while viewing you as an expert in the field. That way they will not only respect you, but feel that they can ask questions or advice.
Key takeaways:
- Projecting and maintaining your presence from a distance.
- Projecting and maintaining your authority from a distance.
- Establishing a relationship with each learner.
I'm going to update my bio, and organize it into sections. I am also going to update my initial assignment at both college and high school level to include some details on how they should do an introduction. I think that will make everything a lot better
A critical component for success of on-line instruction is for students to learn about me and for me to learn about them. This section did a great job in conveying specific methods to achieve these goals.
One thing i learned from this module was to post a biography telling about my Academic Credentials, Professional Experiances and Achievements.
One thing I took from this module and actually copied to a word doc was information you would look for in a student's biographical information.
- The name by which they prefer to be addressed.
- Their academic background.
- Their employment history and current occupation.
- Their reasons for taking the course.
- Their expectations of you.
- Any special interests and hobbies.
I'll be using this in the future