Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I didn't realize how important it is to be familiar with the online format and platform that the student will be using through out the course. Sometimes they seem to know better than me as a instructor as they tend to be more technologically advanced. I also learned how important it is for the students to  know that they are supported

good stuff! How to stay on track with phine consults

I have learned that as with all education delivery endeavors, the online instructor must prepare and recognize the unique challenges the online learner faces as well as their unique learning styles and adaptations. Familiarizing with the CMS/LMS and becoming proficient at managing each activity as well as staying "present" in the daily activities designed in the course are pivotal to the success of all stakeholders involved.

Course delivery can impact the students in significant ways.

One area that I noticed and want to try was to take the student orientation for CMS to experience the course from their "side"

In the online environment, there is a course structure that is needed for students to be able to understand and easily move through the different modules, assignments, and other course activities. 

It is important that I learn as much about my students abilities as possible. This includes their profiles and capacity for online environment.

As an instructor, its important that I am familiar with the resources I need to effectively teach my course. In an online environment, I'm wearing a variety of different hats. The one I find most challenging is "defacto student help-desk." Any questions students have about the tech are usually sent to me first. I don't like referring the question to my institutions IT people, because I think it sends the wrong message to the students. As much as possible, I feel that I should be able to assist them in the basics of any course management system. To do that requires that I, as well as my students, have a formal orientation to the course management system. The places where I'm mosdt successsful as an instructor are those that provide me this training.

I learned you must be proficent in the online platform to help the students

I like the idea of organizing the course into modules and lessons. It provides a structure to the course and helps students navigate with ease. 

I think it is important to organize the course, send announcements, provide good feeback, create an online presence in the classroom, respond to students as soon as possible. 

online learners need to feel they have the support and can get answers to questions when needed.  This makes them more confortable in the online environment.

I  was reminded that instructors may have different delivery methods for the common teaching goal. I will continue to remind students of this when students remind that another instructor has taught a specific topic different. As long as the common goal is obtained, different methods as long as they are effective and safe are okay.

As an online instructor, it is important to note not all classes or students will require the same learning techniques. It is important to assess the needs of the class or individual and meet the student where they are at. From there, it is possible to bridge any gaps in the learning process. 

Kindly,

Amy Pearman

Hello All,

I have learned that it is important to understand the LMS/CMS in order to facilitate student learning and to make sure that it is student friendly.  It is important that the online course format is easily navigated and encourages active learning from students.  It is a good idea that online courses include a structure that is organized, flows and is informative.

It is very important to aquire knowledge based on the course content, delivery method,etc to guarantee the effectiveness of the learning experience.

i have learned that quality online courses engage the learner, and know the CMS

I will take the time to become more familiar with CMSplateform

learn how to naigate the system before making assignments

For me, the most important topic of this module was the characteristics of quality online courses. I will apply that all online courses have: (a) structrural integrity, (b) navegational simplicity, (c) intellectual interaction and (d) active learner-centered learning.

This provided ways to effectively communicate with fellow employees, students and potential students, thru the use of in person, telephone and writing. Communicaton is key!

Communication is key. 

Even though instructor expectations are the same, we all will get there differently based on our teaching styles and personalities. There are so many tools and techniques at our disposal, so it is important to keep updated on what is available and use a variety of different strategies to reach our students. I always feel like there is something new I could try each term to the point that it almost becomes overwhelming! Even though we have all these tools, nothing will replace an approachable and active instructor! 

Sign In to comment