Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shifts and Changes in the Education World | Origin: EL116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

The Asynchronous, Self-Directed Learning Model --> Shifts and Changes in the Education World

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I really like the idea of using wikis and blogs for student engagement. I also like the idea of having students create these for outside responses and critique. I am going to integrate badges or certificates at the end of each unit for my classes. I think this is a great idea to get students engaged not only in the actual learning of content and skills but also in some friendly competition.

In considering labs and experiments, I liked the suggestion that was provided regarding utilizing videos to conduct experiments. While some may feel that it is impossible to conduct labs in an online environment, it is important to note that it can still be done. 

Providing examples of what type of finished products are expected is a great idea.   I could provide examples of work at different success levels, and highlight where previous students made mistakes, had difficulties, or strategies that were successful.  Encouraging students to share what works and doesnt work dueing an activity could be a way to give out extra credit and give students the opportunity to interact and feel recognized by their peers.

Being able to film lab demos that students can view on their own time, this will help them get engaged. Havine a discussion board that they can interact with each other may help students from feeling isolated. 

utilizing videos to conduct experiments seems time consuming for both student and instructor. i prefer a series of several pictures of the experiment

I'm hosting a workshop this week where most of my participants have inconsistent Internet connections. So as a result, I need to consider how to make sure the workshop meets the needs of these participants if they get disconnected. Discussing technological barriers in the section open my mind to new possibilities.Considering these barriers will make me a more effective teacher. I'm thinking about how to create a instructional platform that works both online and off-line that will support asynchronous instruction.

In asynchronous leanring environments, online teachers are facilitators.

I learned how important is to create a reward system to engage the students in the course and how to develope a course with labs and simulations

With COVID19, online and asyncronous learning in growing.

Asynchronous learing works using videos , using as much material to enage the students. Making the lessons , fun and not painful experince. My classes are 3- 4 hours long, all studio. 

Found this interesting: Unfortunately, many college students, regardless of their age, have never been asked to reflect critically on their work. Glogster was an interesting site I have not heard of before.

I am not sure if I like the idea of using blogs and wikis for students.  I do enjoy discusssion boards though. 

Teachnology can be of assistance to the student but it may pose challenges as well. Asynchonous courses are not for every intructor nor every student. It is critical to consider the technological skills set of both. Instructors and student must consider logistical aspect of the delivery and receiving of the education. Asycrnoous learnig allows the student to reflect more in her/her work. Although, building a sense of commnunity in this enviornment can be challenging it can be done very well too.

I have been using personalized feedback for 5 years and it truly make a difference in connecting with the students, and helping them to succeed.

Our school has gone to a blended learning, on line leacture and F2F labs whitin the last year. The probem we as instructors are seeing is the time management and maturity of our students. Part of our students feel everything else in their lives is more importand than taking time to comlete their online lessons.

Students and professors can both feel isolated. Reaching out through the student lounge and discussion boards in important to help students feel supported and part of a community. 

Utilizing videos for labs is a good idea for instruction, generally speaking. However, students usually enjoy labs more than their other classes because it gives them a chance to do hands on assignments. I feel that even with videos the value of labs are lost in online education. It is important for students to be able to take in lab assignments with all of their senses.

Enganging students in the course work with other tools like blogs or wiki pages can be very beneficial in order to connect the students to tha material. Providing students with expectations and a rubric should also be attached to each assignment. In addition, having students personally reflect on the information they learned after each lesson can promote critical thinking. 

I will make sure to keep technological barriers at the forefront of my mind while creating labs and online course work. I enjoy continual contact with my students, so another challenge besides technology, will be how to acheive some level of communit inside of the asynchronous lense. In an "anytime, anywhere" mindset, course structure and design is key, so I will really have to sit down with other professionals to create something that will lead all of my students to success.

Sign In to comment