Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the newer technologies that we are incorporating into fieldwork experiences and lab activities is the use of simulated cases.  The students can access the simulations at any time after creating an account on the platform's website, observe the medical procedures being administered, and then answer critical thinking questions to determine comprehension.  This offers a great way to incoporate lab activities in an asynchronous online teaching environment.

Technology may be a challenge that we deal with as instructors.  Our students may not have access to all the technology that we assume they may have to complete an activity.  Also, it is important to consider new ways of engaging the student on line and it is good to start with the outcome desired and then go back and see how that can be achieved in the activity or assignment the instructor is expecting the student to do.

Continued use of asynchronous does seem to need infusions of creativity by way of assignment or rewards in order to be engaging in the long term for a broad student pool. Adding rewards could benefit the student but may also be of benefit to the instructor under certain circustances.

Experiments can be done even in an asynchronous online course. As long as lab kits, videos, clear instructions  or guides,  and technology support are provided to students.

One of the most difficult things has been making projects and interesting material for the trade courses. For the IT courses, it is easier. We have Packet Tracer and other tools to simulate the environment. However, in the Electrical courses, I haven't been able to find anything that can do this. I haven't found a "wire the circuit" simulator or a short circuit troubleshooter. Anyone that knows of anything like this, please sent it to christopher.brown@yti.edu

Instructors and budget can present barriers to implementing asynchronous learning, as there is more up-front development time, which may take up to six months. You must consider effective activities that allow students to interact with the content, as well as opportunities for reflection, and tools for communication (90% of which is content related). Additional materials may need to be developed, or lab materials packages designed so that students can do the lab work from their own location. It is also critical to base your asynchronous courses on solid and well-thought out learning objectives, and to ensure all are provided for in interactions and activities. However, reflection may be provided through the use of infographic, blog, video or wiki creation, or creative projects. The use of the latest available technologie can assist in providing these opportunities. S2S communication can be accomplished with message boards or wikis.

I feel the biggest challenges with online courses is the student's ability to have solid Internet access and computer proficiency. I have seen these types of barriers that do impact on success with learning. Effective communication, being skillful with being the facilitator and learning activities for enragement are key to building a community in an asynchronous course. I like the use of blogs, wikis and video recordings for assignments. I feel that even though the course may require more time and creativity if I don't set a due date, students tend to fall behind and need to finish the course by the end of the semester as required by the college.

The online educator must be aligned with innovative strategies that attract the student and allow the learning process through doing, experimenting, practicing, interacting such as creating comics, producing a series of videos, drawing, singing, dramatizing ... We can make online education an educational channel that teaches while entertaining.

Using video to capture lab results is a great idea.

while many students may not like the idea of online learning i like to encourage them by reminding them that the resources at hand are nearly limitless online. as well as the benefit of week long availability, rather than a 4 hour course.

I liked the way that students can show engagement can be designed with their unique learning method so that they get the most out of the exercise. 

I do like the LMS systemt that we use. The e-books that are part of the course already have lab based assignments assignments that we have to upload. Since our class has lab on campus the lab based e- assignments come in handy when class is cancelled. 

In this module the barriers and concerns associated with online courses and student engagement was discussed.  I like the idea of having students do a self-reflection in a blog this can also encourage other students to get involved.  It is important to get the students actively involved in their learning especially in an asynchronous environment, where they may feel isolated.  I agree that instructors in an online environment are facilitators and need to facilitate the learning for the students by giving them clear and precise instructions and timely feedback.  

The general idea that should indicate the path for the virtual educator should be to support the student with a good instructional design of the course.

I think the best part of this module was the emphasis on reflection. Its definitely something students need to learn how to do, as well as educators and their curriculum.

Many institutions have moved to partial or fully asynchronous learning. Instructors have the opportunity to grow while planning to engage students in their learning process.

Blogs, discussion threads are a good way for students to self reflect and share with each other. This provides a good connection between students. 

I like the use of videos for labs. In addition, providing bonus points for early work submission is a good idea. The use of games or contests seems fun and engaging.

Using UTube videos to demonstrate a lab allows the student to view it as many times as they wish.  Some students need more reinforcement to master a skill.   The idea of badges give something for the students to work towards.

Focusing on the learning outcomes to get the end result is key to having successful labs online.

Sign In to comment