Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Justina Morales's post:I remember how during my MSED my classes suddenly switched to non-linear structures, and I hated it. I felt so lost. Did you ever experience that kind of thing?

Reply to Sharon Richard's post:I agree. Assessments are very important for knowledge checks, but they can also be used as teaching tools. Have you ever had found that to be true?

Reply to Korinne Toadvine's post:How do you feel about application activities? This is where students exercise what they're learning either through a presentation or through a medium they are studying about. Would that be a good example of what you're referring to?

I have learned about module design and componets

Engagement of student is dependent on structural integrity of the learning platform. 

I've taught online for many years but this class (so far) has me rethinking the way I am delivering information. I am not certain I'm designing courses that engage ALL students. Need to work on that.

I have learned about the importance of providing multisensory learning opportunities for our students. I look forward to implementing this practice to a greater degree in my future cohorts.

Variety is the spice of life so they say. In online education avoiding all assignments that require only one sensory experience is important. Multiple interaction and engagement with instructor and students make for online learning that is right-paced and moves beyond rote learning.

Navigational simplicity is integral to successful online learning, particularly because there is such variety in student's experience and comfort level using educational technology.

Multisensory lerning and simplicity of the course are very crucial in online courses.

Intellectual interaction with teachers and classmates is very important for the student taking online class. Old classroom setting is usually based only on learning the information but with online, students will be performing critical thinking and problem solving. They need to think more now and apply the information they learned to a scenario or situation. I like it.

It was interesting to find out that the first distance courses that were offered, dates back to the early 1700's.  I can't even imaging doing that.  Asking a professor a question, would take weeks, even Months to get a response. UGH!!! That would be Very frustrating to me. 

I enjoy being a teacher, Traditionally and Online. My Online teaching just began when the Covid hit. Before that, all my courses were taught in a Traditional Class setting. I have found out that Traditional Teaching is quite different than teaching online, as far as how my students learn. Being able to read the lessons, watch videos, and make posts, students really enjoy learning at their own pace, especially during this difficult and strange time in history. Now, as far as communications, I find that students participate more in online discussions and they ask me more questions. I found that their overall learning experience has been better and the first class to complete their online part, scored much higher in participation, interacting with me and their classmates, and they retained more of the course information. I am looking forward to the new classes starting tomorrow Online and some, traditionally. 

For the most part, this reminds me, and reinforces, the need to continuously research new and emerging technologies. The speed of technological development is quite fast, and for that reason, education is always changing and improving. I always love researching new approaches to teaching to begin with, but this reinforces that habit. 

Charles 

How popular online course are ,and will become later on in the furture . It takes a creative mind to design a online traning course that will get and keep people engaged with the traning.

For a successful online course, you must have organization and challenge the learner. Instead of one final test of knowledge, you must test through out the course and look at the data so that you can build on it. 

it is important for learners to find it easy to locate and access information in the course. Utilizing links assists with this- navigational simplicity

Stuctural integrity and simple navigation is essential to course development. Additionally, providing content with opportunities to engage in critical thinking and problem solving is important for learning.

Each course needs to be very clearly defined with sections the students can easily follow and understand. 

Reply to Korinne Toadvine's post:I would have to agree that organization is key.  In my experience my students and instructions find it frustrating when information or similar content is not found in the same place it was housed in a previous course.

What others kinds of interactive experiences/experiences could be utilized in lieu of discussion board questions you think? Discussion Board questions do facilitate the intellectual interaction however, I would neither agree discussion board questions facilitate learning in an a enjoyable way, nor do I feel that much is gleaned from this interaction. If anything, I see that retention has suffered from this interaction vice increased retention levels in my experience as a student and in the administration of higher learning. 

I guess as an instructor I used to take it for granted that when I teach a course that students will be interested and that they are attending because the want to learn. That they in some way want to increase their knowledge and ultimately be more effective in their jobs. It makes sense that any course taught needs to be structurally sound so that students can easily follow along and navigate through the lessons, readings, videos etc. while keeping things learner-centered and to engage the students by interaction with the instructor, classmates and with themselves while stimulating critical thought and discussion. It takes a well thought out plan to build all of these characteristics into a good course.

Sign In to comment