Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I enjoy using the grading rubic 

Student portfolios can be an avenue of assessment that showcases student skills.

I loved the concept of modeling professional behavior. 

I also liked the idea of mixing up the work groups (perhaps on a weekly basis) so the students get to know each other and learn to work together respectfully.  By changing up the classroom activities (part lecture, part discussion, then a small group project perhaps filling in a worksheet or concept map of a subject) to keep things flowing and different to accommodate the variety of learning needs I can address a multitude of education concepts that facilitate learning.

Finally, the idea of a portfolio...I've never been "sold" on it, but after this presentation I can see how it is helpful.  In nursing, however, I have yet to hear of any employer asking to see it.  They want to know one thing, and that is "Are you licensed."  And that license is obtained by passing a very difficult standardized test.  So in school, in order to prepare them, we have to expose them to standardized tests.  Sigh... 

Using various teaching strategies is conducive to learning. The students should be accommodated based on their learning styles and disability.

It was very interesting to reflect on learning styles and provide a variety of styles as part of the instructions, so more learners could succeed in their goals. I plan to apply more holistic assessments in my classes.

A very interesting thing I learned in this module is that surprisingly many students don't make people aware of their learning needs and will drop out prior to letting anyone know they need accommodations of any kind.

Learning preferences and challenges are important components of learning and instructional design. 

I think what I'm understanding in this module is the priority need to listen to your students.  Often times we get caught up in lecture and the giving of information without stopping to ask questions of the students as to how the information impacts them, or have them give an example of a time they did this, or experienced that.  Allowing them space to have input keeps them engaged and more active in the learning process.

There were a lot of great resources in this section. The difference between learning challenges and learning preferences made it clear what the differences were. Using multiple methods to teach a concept that will appeal to students with difference learning preferences. Using rubrics and portfolio and another way to assess student learning.

Holistic teaching can help the way each student process information. Instructures must be aware of challenges and disabilities students face. There are different ways of learning and they should not be ignored by the institution or instructors. Education should be inclusive. For this, creativity in the way of teaching should play a roll in the classroom. Explore the 5 senses in the learning process. 

We must recognize the multiple differences in students' learning and try to accomodate the various learning styles throughout our instruction.

I've worked with quite a few students with disabilities, and teaching to their learning preferences makes a huge difference in their academic success. I'll be incorporating more holistic evaluations, particularly in my introductory classes. It'll help me gauge the diverse learning preferences of all my students while giving me a good sense of their content comprehension.

Looking at the handout on different learning styles reminded me of the power of choice in instructional design. To the degree possible, students should be given the autonomy to access materials in their preferred ways and to demonstrate their learning in the way they see fit. It's easy to get overwhelmed looking at the many different ways learning experiences can be constructed to honor learning preferences, but when choice is embedded into the course design, it is less of a heavy lift for the instructor. 

There's a difference between learning preferences and learning challenges. Creating content that is applicable to all learners/differentiating work and content and creating a inclusive learning evironment can help with both learning preferences and learning challenges.

Different students learn differently and sometimes it could be challenging for some students if they have language barriers. 

It is good to know that: Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles and techniques.

Knowing and understanding ones learning preferences is key! Also, important to understand that there are many different learning styles.

En los procesos de aprendizaje se tienen que tener presente siempre los procesos holístico. Son más abarcativos y completos. 

Right on Mr. Sheldon!

I also enjoy PE's and group work to observe and assess their learning.

My organization uses rubrics as a method of holistic assessment

I have always relied on learning preferences to help understand how all of the students in my classes learn best.  It is a very useful tool. 

Sign In to comment