Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It can be challenging to teach the learner from another country or even state, so it's up to us as educatoers to adapt our teaching methods to reach these particular students

I learned the importance of why intercultural communication is important for instuctors and how if used correctly it will not eliminate any students.

It is important to treat students with the same level of respect and understand there may be differences in their experiences based on race or culture.

Race is a social construct.  Culture refers to the differences in people's backgrounds.  Try to be as inclusive as possible.  

Inclusive classrooms are those in which instructors and students work together to create and sustain an environment in which everyone feels safe, supported, and encouraged to express his/her views and concerns.  

Race is a social construct and can be used to minimize the full potential of every student by focusing on the externals.  As instructors, we have note that they have different races/cultures, understand how they may have experienced that,  and then strive to be inclusive to them

Yes

Learning to communicate "inter" rather than "cross" help validated differences and not ignore or devalue them  Becareful as an instructor, not to deflate or undervalue identity, this can lead to lack of confidence, underachievement and even failure.

Everyone is different so we have to learn each one's cultural differences. Teachers must encourage respect and inclusion and model it as much as possible.

I learned how to effectively integrate students from all cultural backgrounds and with diverse races. Even though some of those classifications are societal constructs, we should acknowledge the particularities of each learner and design our instruction accordingly.

I have learned that cultural competence includes cultural differences inclusive of language which could greatly impact the comprehension of the students we are teaching. This lesson also highlighted the importance of being aware of those differences to not negatively impact any of our students and to not allow any other student to negatively impact a student who may have cultural differences. 

Being inclusive and recognizing multicultural realities is not a one-time task, but requires ongoing learning and modification on your part, as an instructor

Because our culinary school is a destination school located on either coast, the student population is very diverse.  My current class mix includes a white male from Georgia, a female African American from Brooklyn, an Asian male from Seattle, and female students from Australia and Japan. It is one of the most culturally, ethnically, and socially complex groups I have ever had in 15 years of teaching. All of this material applies completely and totally to my current class situation.

I appreciate the strategies given or inclusivity. Again, it is important not to make assumptions but to get to know students as individuals. Pre-screening materials for bias or any content that could cause harm is a good practice.

It is very important to treat people as humans and not by their cultural or means of streotyping.

Our main achievemnet as instructors, is for all students  regardless of backgound, to feel inclusive and capable of learning according to their needs in a safe and espectfull enviorment. 

It is important that we not focus on solely a student's race, but them as a whole.

Being willing to recognize the adversities students of different cultural and racial backgrounds but not treat them differently is imperative to an inclusive classroom environment.

culture is important in learning

It is crucial for educators to preview their curriculum looking for stereotypes and biases. When problematic elements are found in curriculum, they can be used as teachable moments to point out the bias or stereotype to students. This is one way that outdated curriculum can be adapted for today's classrooms. It is also important that teachers prepare for panels and guest speakers by communicating expectations for inclusive language for those who might not be accustomed to talking in front of a diverse group of students. 

Reply to Marvin Smith's post:Everyone is different and as an instructor I must appreciate the differecnces

Sign In to comment