Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Definetely find a way to remember names of students, do not be a "pal" to your students.

worrying about things that will never happen is a common mistake 

I never allow myself to cross the line into friendsip with my students. I can be friendly with them, laugh, joke and share my personal experiences but always set that boundry.

Creating an environment in your classroom where students are comfortable to try and also fail is the key to ultimately doing things correctly and doing them well.

In this lesson I learned that it is better to be overprepared for lecture, and that I will mess up at some point but the important part is learned from the mistake and noting it so that I can do better in the future.I plan to implement this knowledge by planning extra learning material for each class, and taking notes about how the class went afterwards, so that i can reflect on how to improve.

As a new instructo, sometimes I find it hard to keep organized espe when there are changes to the curriculum by administrators.

Just because you are new to teaching does not negate what you know from experience and what you can give your students. Being prepared is a must.

Instructor mistakes can be minimized by using humor, promoting a professional image, being prepared, organized and dedicated. Taking notes to assist with learning the students names also helps. I have made mistakes with students names.

I appreciate the "over-prepare" suggestion. I wish I had known that going into my first semester of teaching! The Bermuda Triangle of instruction was something I struggled with, but as I grew more confident in my teaching and curriculum, I noticed it tended to be the opposite of an issue, where lessons went over time instead of under. Finding the balance is certainly key! The section about instructor image was a nice refresher, and always good to remember.

Be organized and prepared for class. Don't disclose that you are new to teaching, instead focus on your expertise and years of experience in the subject you are teaching. 

It is important to have confidence as an instructor, but also to learn your own faults and continue to work on them and improve them to better yourself as an educator. 

Common Instructor Mistakes:

The most important thing about instructor mistakes, is that we are human & mistakes will happen. Be sure to not dwell on them, but learn from them. Use humor to explain how it occurred & talk about correcting it. Be real with my students. Be sure to “Laugh at myself”.

Things to keep in mind are:

• Create a positive instructor image. Be sure to reflect an image of a professional who is successful in industry, as the students are striving for this as well. Show care in them. Do not share personal issues, or compare theirs to yours.
  • Manage the class. Be sure to establish a routine & set a procedure for class. Be in charge, be sure to remember student names as soon as possible & establish the rapport the 1st day of class.
  • Avoid new instructor worries. Be sure to be prepared, don’t be afraid to ask for help, strive for organization.
  • Be sure to strive for solutions !!  Make note of mistakes, & review them the next time you teach it to build from those mistakes, & not repeat them.

The tip for making notecaards to place on stduents desks was so helpful. I do this for large classes - write the student name and then place the card in front of the student. Usually by the end of the first class I have their name memorized :) 

Laughing at yourself if you make a mistake; over prepare for the first few classes.  Stay organized and get in to a rhythm.  Set clear expectations on day 1.  Dress professionally and smile.  

I have learned that I am only human. I keep 11 weeks of lesson plans, that helps me stay on track. 

Sometimes I have difficulty remembering student names - especially with larger classes of 20 or more plus now they wear masks.  This module has great tips about connecting with students.

We cannot expect to be perfect or have the perfect class. Preparation and planning will help with these common mistakes

This module is a great reminder that instructors are human and have insecurities as well. However it is important to not let those insecurities get in our way of teaching. 

I am not good with names until I interact more with the students. 

Coming to class prepared - and learning from mistakes I ve made --learning to move on and make note of what better to do next time.

Also, learning how to handle the "silent student" in a way that wont embarrass them and help them in whatever challenges they may be facing

Sign In to comment