Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Makln sUte the students understand what you are looking for at the beginning of the class on how to wire their project thur out the term.

I have seen a Principal use the evaluation method of observable and measureable in my classroom evaluation and now I know where to build a good base to meet that expectation.  Good topic for discussion. Can someone tell me a good rubric they use in their classroom?

Reply to Michael Taylor's post:Reply to Michael Taylor's post:  Good post. I would like to know more about how you evaluate. Some sucess stories and some failures. Thank you

It will take some critical thinking to apply these new evaluation concepts to my competency assessments.

I can not agree more with Mr. Taylor

The instructor / teacher needs complete control and total understanding of the resources and task in the lab.  If not no grading box chart in the world will help students get the proper feedback about their skills.

In the course I teach, it requires constant evaluation, because the students are applying skills learned while performing what they have learned. The grading Rubic is a good for the student to see what the grading differences are and how to improve.

An effective assessment should cover all the 3 domains of cognitive, affective and psychomotor. Lab assessments can be tough, as it can be time consuming as well as exhausting. Competency assessment tests performance more than the knowledge and we should make sure that we assess all the 3 following: 1. foundation skills, 2. technical skills, 3. professional skills. Rubric is an important tool and can help in better assessment. 

How to grade my students labs

The best test for competency is to ask the students critical thinking questions. 

Comment on Laura Hogins's post:  yes we use the ruburic

Emphasize Lab safety by showing "What NOT to do" videos.

Have multiple areas (problem solving, factual knowledge, technical skills, attitude) to assess our students is so important, and honestly fair to the student. Some are plagued by performance nerves, some by test anxiety, it doesnt mean they wont be a great clinician or be a value to the field. 

Evaluating student progress takes time!  

Rubrics can be helpful, but sometimes a more open ended approach is needed. 

Comment on Omar Muneeb's post

The rubric is a great tool for assessing knowledge students can apply to real-life experiences.

Instructors are to reinforce to students the importance of adhering to following the rubric.  I've noticed often students don't look at the rubric or only use the parts they are willing to address in assignments.  When they get low scores, they are angry.

Using the rubric provides a ton of guidance when evaluating each students performance. It does allow for much margin of error.

As a welding instructor a rubric is nice to have as the students don't understand welding code but that is my standard for them passing a weld test. And testing often is my way of assessment.

Being a clinical instructor is so different from being a solely didactic instructor.  There is a whole separate skill set to develop when encouraging, promoting, providing and evaluating student learning, versus that of classroom learning.

Evaluating student competency and progress is difficult in the lab environment. A rubric can be helpful in identifying learning strengths and deficits as well as help students prepare for lab by gaining a clear understanding of the objectives.

Sign In to comment