Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel like there is a time and place for all forms of assessment in the class.  The trick is knowing how and when to utilize them.

In my experience with assessments in the shop setting, I have found that rubrics tend to be the best fit. Many students can use the rubric to self evaluate their work and their progress through the project while also using it as a "to do list" so to say to assist them with what to complete and when. 

Assessing students' development, especially in a hands-on lab setting, is crucial to the success of their instruction. Using a grading rubric and constructive feedback will help students 

Assessment in a competency-based classroom can be either formative or summative.

Giving an assignment and having the student explain what they are doing in a step-by-step manner

I do agree to effectively assess student progress one must create rubrics that include purpose, practicability, reliability, and validity.  Rubrics help eliminate unclear expectations for both student and instructor.  I also agree that assessments should reach across cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains in order to be effective.

Comment on Michael Taylor's post: That is very true!!

I grade alot on participation and effort due to the fact that I have students in my classes from verying grades, they have verying abilities, and and extremely different skill levels. Alot of summative assessments are used and it has served me well over these many years.

evaluating students and assessing them is crucial to the knowledge they are learning

It makes me think about the way I assess. I have some reflection as part of the assessment process but it is more used as a communication tool for me to understand the student's process when using the tool. The largest part of the assessment is the actual project which is a physical build. 

I am a firm believer in formative assessments. Assessing and providing feedback as the student learns allows us to shift instruction as necessary to best support student learning. Relying exclusively on summative assessment runs the risk of completing a learning block only to find that our students are missing key concepts. 

Sign In to comment