Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructing Learners with Disabilities | Origin: ED106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Enhancing Student Learning --> Instructing Learners with Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Instructing learners with disabilities should not be seen as a burden, they are usually above average inteligent students.

What they might need is some special attention like:

More time

Talk to them about what is useful for their learning

Maybe they need a more quieter place to take the exams

Providing for students with learning challenges willl help all students comprehend. Many students with learning "disablities" are of average or above average intellegence. Finding new ways to reach one student will help you reach others.   Not every student with a learning disability will know they have one.  exploring new ways to facilitate comprehension will help the class as a whole!

How to accomodate students with learning disabilities. I encounter many students will difficulties comprehending. 

Reconnizing a students disability and helping them to undderstand.

Instructing learners with disabilities is not a huge issue. If you tackle the situation by finding out what their specific disability is and past accomodations that were helpful along with allowing more time for certain tasks and doing what you can to accomodate them, they will likely be successful in your class.

Seth Sotonnadi

Learned that;"The majority of course modifications are very simple and take little time or effort."

There are different types of learning disabilities a student may have. Providing accommodations for the student will assist them with successfully completing the course and understanding the content.

Providing immrediate accomodations for students with learning disabilities can help them to be just as successful as those who don't have learning disabilities

Understanding the student's learning is very important in your teaching direction. Once all the needed helps are applied, the student is bound to succeed.

Students with learning disabilities reached the college level because they have had support in the past and/or found ways to overcome their disability. I will be as supportive as possible without jeapordizing other students progress. I find that most students are supportive as well or do not know that a student may have a disability.

Reading comprehension is a significant issue in educational environment

I learned that there is always a certain percent of students  with disabilities. It is my responsibility  to learn with them  and become a better instructor as I prepare towork with them and there needs.

Learning disabilities in students can be a challenge but with time and support these students can manage to be succesfull.

Often times helping a student with a disability can be as simple as putting a box around a test question so as to keep it separated. This is something which can be useful for other students as well, and can be easily implemented.

Great information and most students with learning disabilities when given the extra time do well in class.

It was interesting to see highlighted how adult learners fall outside of IEP protection but still covered under ADA and how as an instructor we can help them to self-advocate and work together to figure out appropriate supports to help them be successful.

Allowing students to record lecture, record other students reading the textbook really helped my classmates understand the material.

It was intersting to learn about the different types of learning disabilities.  I appreciated the information about self-advocacy, which is vital once a student graduates from highschool, since the IEP no longer applies.  I find that most students with learning disabilities often just need a little more time to process.  Having a recording of the lecture or assistance with note taking can also be of great help.  Once a student has disclosed a disability, it is nice having a resource on campus through the student disability services office that can assist you in providing the best accommodations for students.

How to accommodate students with learning disabilities.

Sign In to comment