Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

late starts

Student that start late have to be treated very gentle. I have learned that when they start late it increases their chance of dropping since they feel left behind. It is important for all staff to assist the student in this matter to ensure the students overall success.

I understand your point of view and I agree with but you have to keep in mind your audience. It can create a bad habit for the classroom.

Dahlia, that is an interesting point and great awareness. What are some things that you do specifically with students that enroll and start late in the term? 

Dahlia you are correct! When we start students late, we do an individual oreintation just for those students so they know what is going on. We also hold sessions for them on their lunch break (they have an hour an a half) to catch up on anything they may have missed. We make sure they get caught up before they start feeling left behind. It is very important to make them feel good and not lke they are behind or else they get frustrated and drop within the first month.  We also have the Diretor pull all of the new students at week 2 or 3 to do a check and see how they are all doing.

Primairly when a student starts late I try and set up a time to go over all what was missed and encourge them to use tutoring to get caught up and have all scheduled missed assignments ready for them with a 3-4 day deadline to turn in their work. I realize it may be a bit breathtaking for them but to minimize them from becoming discouraged and desiring to quit I give them a bit of breathing room while walking them through.

When Admissions is guiding a student through the admissions process a few days before starting school, they need to consider any potential obstacles and give suggestions on how to overcome them.  Give them the exact list of things to accomplish and guide them through each one.  Always be available over the phone or via email.

Sign In to comment