Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

understanding stress

I feel it's important to try and identify with the student's stressors. Or at least be able to refer them to a resource to help decipher what issues they may be experiencing. Sometimes it just helps them to know you experienced similar feelings when you were a student.

I agree. I posted another discussion about learning what these stressors are. I think that we need to identify without being judgemental, because we may not have experienced similar feeling when we were students. I believe this would help our ability to refer and decipher the issues.

There more theories about Stress than just Seyle's.

Very true. The instructor should be the first to identify if a student is undergoing stress. The first impressions the student gets of the instructor should be trust. This will make it easier for the student to approach the instructor when under stress

I also agree. I use to be a student once, so it would definately help me if someone else understood what I was going through, and better if that person knew some helpful ways to relieve that stress.

Sometimes the best thing to do is alow the student to vent their feelings and frustrations. I find active listening very helpful, as well as sharing some of the frustrations we have had as students.

You  have to be one of the people the students rely on. Someone just to let them get it all out. Also, you have to have a ton of resourses - from food banks, homeless shelters, medical aid, tutors, etc. You cannot judge, even though it may be difficult.

Sign In to comment