Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can you recall your first "Mentor"?

If I think back, I can recall my first mentor, Mr. Emmi. High school wood shop teacher. He showed me that life has many paths and all I had to do was walk my own. That small conversation stuck with me and his style of instructing has shaped mine.

Theodore,

Thank you for sharing this post. What are some specific things Mr. Emmi did that influenced you to select him as a mentor?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I'd like to think my first mentor was my mother, she worked two jobs, raised three kids and still had time to make sure we all achieved our goals. She instilled in us a solid work ethic as well as a solid set of moral ethics.

Michael,

I think it is great when someone names a parent as the most influential mentor. My father was mine, with my mother a close second.

Jeffrey Schillinger

As a student I call a few amazing instructors as being my best guides through my new found profession. They gave support and guidence as needed while upholding their standards and ethical bounardaries.

I beleive that retention begins with a soft heart, gentle voice, strong shoulders and a good backbone.

Kim,

Thank you for this post. What are a few specific effective behaviors that clearly demonstrate the provision of "support and guidance" by an instructor?

Jeffrey Schillinger

My first mentor was my floral design instructor in high school. On our second day of class, she met with each of the students and asked us what we needed help with personally, what we wanted to accomplish in the next year and what she could do to help us in our goals. In the following months, she would ask us how we were coming along with our goals, and offer advice or a sympathetic ear.
Now as an instructor myself, I try to find time with each student to ask them what's going on in their lives and if there is anything I can do to help. Sometimes they just need to vent and then they feel better. I feel like it builds trust and respect by spending more one-on-one time with them.

Yes Boots O'Shi he was my little league football coach. He was always to give encouragement to all the kids no matter what level of ability they had. He treated use as equals. He had a deep strong voice with a big heart,

Yes and it seems that it becomes forgatten skill

Zbigniew,

Please tell us about your mentor.

Jeffrey Schillinger

My first boss. She helped shape me into not only into the employee i am today but the woman i am as well. This is why i still work for her. Mentoring is a very important part in all of our lives. I hope that i continue to strive my best to mentor our students.

When I worked in the corporate world out of college I had a direct manager that reminded me of the importance of balancing work and personal life to make sure I took time to appreciate things outside of work as much as I focused on my job, that balance has made all the difference in my life.

Sign In to comment