Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resume Building

Hi Susan,

We do resume building with our student in a class forum. They are instrucetd on how to prepare a Profile or an objective (which ever they choose). They are also instructed on the description of their program and compiling information to include. The problem we have run into is our PAC members advised us that our students resume's are too uniform and that they can be picked out just by the format. (Is this a bad thing?)
Our students are instructed that they can use diffrent headings (ie: Profile/ Objective, Education/ Training) and that they can change fonts to make the resume more individualized.
Do you think this should be an issue? If so, what changes would you suggest we make?
Thanks,
Denise

HI Cheryl

Interesting feedback from your PAC members. You might ask for clarification. Employers typically like to see uniformity in resumes. Resumes offer a way to provide information clearly and easily. In fact, some employers use electronic scanners to select resumes. They are looking for certain key words. Creativity can come in a portfolio if appropriate. Or possibly a cover letter to get some attention. Again, I would find out what your PAC members concerns are and what problems they are trying to solve.
Best wishes
Susan

I often encourage my students to change the structure to the format. For example, flushing the contact information to the left of the page; adding a skills section in columns and the different headings will also help. But definitely have them refrain from using too many different fonts or adding graphics to the resume.

HI WAnda
Some great ideas about resumes. Many of our students have little experience and education so it is always a challenge to develop their resumes. So-- changing the structure while retaining the "official" look of a resume could help. I also suggest organizing work by major employment and then other employment and lumping in all those part time jobs together. It is very interesting to see patterns of skills emerge. The students learn new things about themselves when they see consistent skills and interests even though they had various jobs.

Best wihses,Susan

We have a variety of approved resume templates on the server in the computer lab. Students can choose the one that they prefer and then we critique the resume for spelling, grammar and relevance. By providing the various templates each students resume can be unique.

Allison

Hi Allison

Great idea to provide resume templates. How do the students choose which resume format is best for them? Is there one template that is more popular than others? Do certain types of students tend to choose the same ones?
Thanks
Susan

I have to agree with using templates. We use the resume wizard in MS Word. This allows the student a chance to express themselves. But we still critique their resumes, we also use the same type of formatting for the cover letters, and references. This keeps everything uniformed

HI Margaret

It is always a challenge to meld being creative with the traditional ways people like to view resumes. Maybe have students be creative with the information they want to include on their resumes but use standard formats. Of course all this depends on the type of program. A student in art and design or culinary arts will present themselves differently than one in medical assisting!

Best wishes
Susan

Allison,

Have you ever run into problems using the templates, when sending resumes via internet?

We have been under the understanding that not all companies would be able to translate the template resumes and the information shows up un-formatted.

Is this a myth?

Pam

Pam and Allison,

Just wondering how effective templated resumes are for entry-level job seekers. Can you tell us more?
Thanks
Susan

Actually, we avoid templated resumes, whether entry level or not. The templates tend to do the thinking for the student, and we find then that all resumes look the same. Showing and sharing with them different samples and styles, I believe have been benificial. However, we do have those students that have problems with being creative and will 'put off' preparing their resume until the last minute.

Thanks
Pam

HI Pam

I agree that some templates just don't work for most students. They have to be creative about showing how their work experience is relevant to their new workplace. Sometimes basic templates are effective. The ones that include the elements of a resume and where information goes.
Susan

We use WinWay Resume it also has a varity of resume forms along with spelling,grammar, and cover letter template as well. the program is very user friendly also.

Hi Sheila

Thanks for sharing info about WinWay Resumes. Where can we find it? Does this template allow for students who may not have much of a work history? What else comes with the program?
Thanks
Susan

Hi Susan
It can be purchased at any staples store.It's pretty awesome I have the deluxe verison. As long as you have Windows 95,98,NT, 2000 or Me. It works with all popular printers inkjet and laser.

Thanks Sheila

Reminder to be sure the program can be customized for students with litle work history. Or those with experience that doesn't fit into the template.
Best wishes
Susan

Do you have the students construct different types of resumes? What I mean is, do you find it helpful to have them put together a scannable resume, an electronic resume and a "pretty" resume that can be handed in as a hard copy? We've been finding that employers are asking for more of a variety of ways to apply for a job and the basic word doc resume isn't cutting it anymore. What I want to learn is how to make your resume it's own website!

HI Amy
Perhaps you can discover the ideal resumes for each of the industries you train for. Then share the model with students. When you write about a resume being its own website, what are you specifically referring to? Some schools post the resumes of all grads. Some schools also show grads how to create their own websites.
Thanks
Susan

I guess that's all it is - creating a web site. We're looking into becoming a host for our students so that while they are in our "employment plan" they can take advantage of it. That way they can create an "online portfolio" to refer employers to.

Hi Amy

Sounds like a great plan to offer grads the opportunity to host their own websites.

Why not offer it to grads and alumni as well? Keeps them thinking about your school for referrals or to take more courses.
Best wishes
Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities