Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions and Placement Services

How do you recommend Placement Services partner with Admissions to form an effective bond with the student and instill excitement in them from the very beginning about the whole job placement process?

Hi Amy
Great question. You might have a regular briefing session with admissions to be sure the staff knows a lot about each career for which you train. Have admissions sit in on classes and go to the workplace where grads are placed. Keep sending admissions updated information about each career. And send them a list of your grads, where they are placed, and the kind of work they are doing. Also describe the ideal student profile for each career. I'm sure you can think of many other ways to keep admissions informed. This is a start.
Best wishes
Susan

I think if you were to invite the employersin for orintation,they can share with the new student what they expect, and how the world revolves around the business. You could also have a career day and invite Admission and the new student.

Good idea I will try that. I am open for all suggestions.

Hi Shelia

Great idea to involve employers whenever you can. It gets students familiar with speaking with them. And your grads will know what employers are looking for prior to the interview.

Best wishes
Susan

Hi Susan,

Great idea about sending admissions updated information on graduate placement. I also give them a list of employers who often hire for a particular program.
Thanks,
Deloris

The Placement Department should advise the Admissions Department of activities done in the school that have an effect on placement and retention. This includes a schedue of any guest speakers, placement of a graduate or a promotion of a recent grad. This allow the Admissions Department to have updated information about graduates to provide to new inquiries. Also, helps in the enrollment process. I like to see a job opportunity board in schools which list recent articles aout the job market, dress code and the like to make the school to work transition easier for students. Positive reinforcement works... it's a team effort between admissions, education and placement.

Hi Deloris
Yes, we have to always remember that students enroll in career programs to get to the workplace quickly. So going to class after class sometimes feels like it is slowing the process. Keeping in mind that graduation is the goal helps with retention. So - the more information about placement and getting jobs, the better student success.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Dorothy
Very well said. Actually student success is a team effort throughout the entire school. School leaders need to keep in mind that everyone on staff is responsible for creating a positive student learning environment.
Best wishes
Susan

We give the Admissions Associcates a CS News letter monthly to show to their future enrollments that lists our placement rate, spot lighting a graduate who has obtained employment and how we assist them as in-school students and as a graduate.We have posted bulletin boards around our office and admissions so when the future enrollments are on a tour they can see pictures of graduates in their cap and gown and we list that graduate's employment information under the picture and the title is "This WILL be you"! We also have Admissions participate in the graduation ceremonies and encourage new enrollments to attend the ceremony to picture themselves there in that cap and gown. I feel it gives them the confidence they need and the assurance from our staff that they will graduate and obtain employment in their field.

Hi Candace
Great ideas about being sure that admissions has placement information to relate to applicants. You might want to brief admissions staff monthly as well. Give them mini scripts to use or show them how to weave placement stats into their pitch. Attending graduation is a great way to increase program completion. Some schools that I know have the junior classes host the graduations. In that way the newer students can feel first hand the excitement of the graduation moment.
Best wishes
Susan

Amy,
I meet with the Admission staff during their weekly meeting to update them on Career Services activites ie. JobFairs, Guest Speakers and new employers who have hired our graduates. In addition , they get a copy of my weekly report that reflects placements for the week by student name, major , job title , company that hired the graduate and the wage. This inforamtion allows admissions to tell potential studnets how Career Services will assist them when they graduate. Also, I have a list of grads who are willling to talk to potential students to let them know what it is like in the real world. Hope this is helpful

Hi Carol and Amy

Great ideas. Placement is sooo hooked into enrollments. Now you might want to see how your admissions reps are actually using the information. You can give them info, but how they use it might be quite different! Also you might want to give them information to hand out. Then you can be sure it's complete and accurate. Really good. Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan

I maintain a healthy relationship with Admissions. Admissions often brings in or introduces New or potentialy new students to Career services and I answer questions or inform them of recently placed grads and eas the fear of working after graduation.

James

HI
Great idea, James. Really important for placement to work with admissions. And it's never too early for a prospective student to link enrollment with getting a job.
Best wishes
Susan

students need to be aware of the placement services from the first visit. active, productive placement services gives the student a level of comfort.

Hi Amy,

I have recently put together a comprehensive student services binder. This binder includes a placement section which has a list of all employers who have employed our students, average salaries by course from statistics over the past three years as well as an outcomes section which includes a list of all possible jobs the students can obtain from the training they are provided. Admissions can benefit a great deal when using these statistics as a tool to better educate potential students and assist them with their decision. We also have the placement officers available to answer any questions a potential student may have during their initial interview.

HI James
What a great model for others to use to create an operations manual for placement services. My guess is that you update this periodically and give admissions reps some "training" from time to time. School directors often don't realize that a successful placement department helps to create successful admissions. Applicants want to be able to start dreaming about the job they will have after going to school. You provide the picture with your notebooks and facts. Great, Susan

We actually have a placement wall in the admissions office. When a graduate is placed, their picture is put on the wall, along with graduation date, hire date, and pay rate. Our admissions office has found it extremely effective and helpful. Potential students can easily see how quickly they can get a job after graduation and how much they will be making. It is much more effective than simply listing statistics in a catalog.

Totally agree, Jill. A picture is worth a thousand words. Happy grads at places of employment says a lot. Allows students to envision themselves in that work environment. We believe that placement starts at admissions. The fact is that applicants tend to be more interested in where they are going to work and how they will get a job than details about each course. Course work is a given. The job search is the mystery, which is why it is so important to keep providing jobs skills training and job search information daily. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities