Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tracking Down MIA Grads

Does anyone know of a good way to track down grads that are missing in action? We have exhausted the usual such as phoneathons, mail, certified mail, calling on weekends, skip tracing...

Hi

This is a very good question. Here is what we have heard from other schools: Get the cell phone number when you start the student file. Ask for the name and cell phone of friends and relatives. Periodically go into the classroom and ask for contact information updates. Keep in touch with grads once a month to keep track of any changes. Keeping in touch has other benefits as well.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Susan

Kelli,

My experience has been that while in school the students create alliances. Find out who their friends were or their favorite teacher, they at most times will have had recent contacts with those missing in action people.

Wanda

I have found that the cell numbers only last a very short time. What I have found that does work is a "How are you doing" letter. This letter includes everything from and address change to stop by and see us, it also has my e-mail address. The grads seem to respond to this letter better than a call. Speaking with former classmates also help, the "kids" keep in touch with each other.

HI Margaret

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully cell phones will get more reliable as a contact source since many services allow you to keep your phone number even if you change service. The grad letter is really great. Has to be sent out regularly to catch those who move. We discover there has to be multiple strategies to solve each challenge.

Best wishes
Susan

What Wanda said is correct. The students become friends and keep in touch. I know this may sound odd, but I have found some lost students on MYSPACE.COM!!!! What do you think of that?
Richard

HI Richard
When students bond during school and afterwards it increases the chances for success while in school and after graduation. Thanks for the tip about myspace.com. Another way to keep in contact with students is to send frequent questionnaires and call when students are enrolled and after graduation. Also getting cell phone numbers increases the chances of staying connected with students and grads.
Best wishes
Susan

Consistently calling missing graduates is one of the best ways for me. Also send them emails with links to job postings to peak their interest and hopefully have them call me back.

Deloris

Hi Deloris
Great idea to keep the interest of grads and students by listing job openings. Also think about industry news, opportunities in their field, documented salary potential, and more.
Best wishes
Susan

MySpace is an awesome idea! Our school actually has a myspace page. We have graduates as well as, current students as friends. It has helped us keep up with them, as well as, market the school!!

Great idea Teresa. Many marketeers will say that marketing and communication has taken a great leap as a result of the growing number of N Gens(Internet Generation.) Relying on the Internet can reduce marketing expenses. It now requires staff with an Internet state of mind.
Best wishes
Susan

Our office goes to the Financial Aid Office for assistance. When a student enrolls they have to list references on their student loan forms. We contact those leads by phone and mail. We call them promoting exciting job leads in their field and mail flyers with some job lead information on it but they have to call our office to apply for those positions. That seems to work for us.

HI Candace
Sounds like a great idea. If you keep in touch with students and grads it is likely you can keep up with their changes of address.
Best wishes
Susan

We have added a section to our exit interview form that asks for a personal reference/family member. We ask for that persons home phone number and cell phone number. This was added so if the graduate moves and we lose track of them hopefully this personal reference/family member will be able to get us in touch with them.

HI Carol
This is such a great idea. You might want to send frequent mailings to the grad within 30 - 60 days of graduation. Then if there are changes of address there is a good chance of getting a notice from the post office. Cell phone numbers seem to be pretty consistent. People are very attached to their cell phones.
Best wishes
Susan

During the Exit Interview in Financial Aid we require three references. This is typically toward the end of a program, so it is the most updated contact information available. Our Placement Department will sometimes check these references when trying to find the MIA students.

Hope this helps.

HI Andrew
Interesting idea. By references do you mean friends and family members of the student? Or do you mean people who have information about them re their backgrounds, etc.
Thanks, Susan

We use FaceBook, MySpace and IMDB (Internet Movie Database) since we are an audio school. Also former classmates are another excellent source.

HI Bruce

These are all great ideas. Perhaps you can sahre more details about what you have discovered.

It's not only about tracking down MIA grads, it is probably more about keeping in touch with students, grads, and alumni on a regular basis. In that way, if/when their contact information changes, you'll be the first to know. Staying in touch with all students impacts on retention. Students know you care about them and may even see you as a resource and make requests that will keep them in school. When students know yours is a customer friendly school they will tell their friends. Hence an opportunity to increase enrollments through referrals. Grads are also likely to return to your school if you have advanced courses or programs. And when employed they may know of other jobs in their companies. So staying in touch with students through graduation has many benefits. Best wishes, Susan

Social networking sites seem to be key. Ask them for their MySpace or Facebook page (or both). Set one up your self under the schools name and your department and ask them to be a part of it.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities