Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Exit Interviews

I start setting appointments with students when they have one more month to go. In that session I ask them to complete a "graduate information" form with their current contact information, current employment status and information if applicable, a list of their ideal jobs, etc. It gives admin a definite update on student contact info and it gives placement another chance to see what the student's goals are.

HI Amy

Great idea to get the information in person. Sometimes that is the only way.
Best wishes
Susan

I also meet with grads about one month before they are ready to graduate. I have them fill out the necessary paperwork, update their resumes and
dicuss plans for finding employment in their field of study. By updating contact information and having a better understanding of the graduate and their career goals, I am better equiped to assist them in finding the right fit for future employment.

Hi Patricia
This sounds great. Have you considered meeting with students periodically during their training rather than waiting to the end? It puts graduation into their thinking and may in some way motivate them to persist to completion. Also we think that employment skill building takes time. It is a process to build an understanding of oneself to create a meaningful resume and be able to interview confidently.
Best wishes
Susan

We do the exact same thing. Meet with upcoming grads in an exit interview to discuss placement, update resume, etc. The fortunate thing at our campus is that all students must take a couse in Career Management - which is always taught by someone in career services. They also must complete an externship - which is also arranged and overseen by career services. So, we establish a relationship with them well before graduation. It works really well!

Hi Lani
You bring up a good point. Placement needs to be ongoing in terms of awareness and training. While you have an exit interview, you also require students to take a course. We feel that employment skills and placement activities have to occur in one way or another throughout the students experience at school. Thanks, Susan

We also use the exit interview prior to graduation to save an electronic copy of graduates resumes, it is nice to be able to go in and add items or change contact info. down the road when a graduate calles to update their resume with us. We also look over the students' portfolios one last time before they start interviewing. Additional info. that we get on the exit interview questionnaire is whether or not the gradaute wants employment assistance or maybe they are going to continue education, going into the military or already have employment lined up. We ask for their current work information such as company adress, phone, supervisor's name and current wage so we have an idea what type of salary they are looking for in their new position. We also ask what geographic locations they are willing to travel to so we don't waste their time or an employer's time when sending their resumes out for positions. Additionally, we them to list their skills and any other relevant information an emplyoer may want to know about them. We ask them to list the name of a contact such as family member, friend, etc. in case we lose touch with them. Finally we ask if they have ever been convicted of a felony and if they have a driver's license and reliable transportation. Recently we just added a new question asking if the student can speak another language or not.

Wow again, Janelle. You have covered most of the key information that is needed and is useful for making decisions about placement services. What do you do with this information? How aware is the admissions department about the exit and completion process at your school? Did you ever have them sit in so they can see first hand? With the information they can paint a great picture of the completion process for the new applicants. Really great. Susan

I hold workshops for students who are getting ready to graduate usually a month or two in advance. During these workshops we discuss numerous things regarding employment, interviewing, resume writing etc. I also get an undated profile from the student which tells me their current address, phone, and so forth, along with where they would like to work and travel. I'm coming to learn that this is what an exit interview is, correct? I wish I could meet with the students earlier and more then when I do, the problem is we have four schools with grads every month on different days and it's just me in the department. I just though of an idea as I was typing that since there are four schools and that each two are close together I can set a date for each of the two pairs of schools and host extra workshops for who ever would like more help, instruction, and even more interview role playing. That allows the students to get more and me to give more without taking to much time from everything else that has to be done.

Great thinking, Deana. Sounds like you are offering very comprehensive placement training. Our thought is also that employment skills training has to start much earlier - early and persistent presentation of skills and awareness. Students need to know they have to do some preparation and work to even get to the first interview. And yes, you are doing an exit interview of sorts. Really important so that you build a relationship with each grad and are able to communicate with grads once they are in the workplace. You'll need their placement stats plus working grads can be a great resource to you and the school. They may be able to assist you. Great idea to plan to see students at two schools at once. Bottom line - if there are 4 schools, you definitely need help. Good luck, Susan

We send out a mailing a couple of months prior to graduation asking students to come in to complete paperwork, do they have a marketable resume and what are their employment plans upon graduation. This gives us time to work with the students before they leave campus and stay connected.

Hi Millie
Based on your other responses we are curious why you wait until near graduation to have students visit the placement office. Seems like the activities would best be on-going from the start. As the student nears the end of their program they may be more focused on finishing and not starting with the activities required to learn employment skills and prepare resumes. Thanks, Susan

we do connect with them from day one!

That's great. Your placement stats must be great and your grads very happy.

Amy,

It is our policy to meet with our students 60 days prior to their graduation. Most of our programs have an externship, so this gives us enough time to help them update their resume and get all of our required paperwork complete before they leave the campus. Keeping in contact with our students, graduates and alumni is very important to our department and school. The more contact you have with your students before they leave school, the easier it will be when they graduate to assist them with finding a job and collecting that information.

Good luck!

Well said, Sheryl. It is our opinion that students need to know about the career services department offerings at the time they meet with admissions. Getting a job is why they are enrolling so career services should be seen as important as classroom training. Meeting with the student 60 days prior to graduation is fine. But we still believe that students should be introduced to career services as early as possible and have consistent contact with them. Thanks, Susan

I agree, getting the student information is sometimes like pulling teeth, also it gives you a chance to get updated info. before they leave school

Hi Iva
We think exit interviews are so important that we believe there should be at least two! The first we consider to be a "pre-exit interview." This occurs after the mid point of the program. This is a time to find out how the student is doing and determine if the student is likely to finish. So many drop out just after mid way, just when you think they won't. This is a good time to see what assistance the student will need, get updated contact information, and let the student know what services are available to get to graduation day. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities