Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grads

We contact our grads with a newsletter format monthly (this seems to work best) we have found that by asking our grads to participate in submitting articles for the newsletter (whether it is work related or product related) it keeps the grads keep coming back.

We also have an incentive referral program for grads. We encourage our grads to participate as a teacher's aid, which in some ways gives them a job right out of school and keeps them attached to the college.

Student surveys can be a bit tricky to get participation, so once again we offer bookstore incentives etc.

It does seem to be a full time job to manage the survey data - So we send them out only as needed.

Thanks Susan. Cheers. Kate

Hi Kate
Great way to stay in touch with grads. Really perfect. It's the ultimate way to build a business or school. Build a strong client base and keep giving them new products and services to buy. Student surveys are a challenge. You need the data to report to regulatory bodies. Also the data gives you factual information on how you are doing. Some schools require the grad complete surveys in order to graduate. Kind of a tough requirement though. If you need to collect employment info then grads still need to be contacted well after graduation. Sometimes a phone call helps. People would rather tell someone the information than write it. Some schools send surveys out via email with a note that it will only take 2 minutes of time. That seems to be an incentive.
Best wishes
Susan

Monthly newsletters seems like time consuming project. How do you gather enough information to publish monthly? What kinds of things are published?

Hi Stacy

Newsletters can be short or long. Even a one page newsletter can be effective with the right information. You might start by creating sections that are included in every newsletter. Examples: Message from the Director, Meet our Recent Grads, Tests Scheduled this Month, Study Tips, Employers Interviewing at our Campus, etc. Get people to contribute. So - a standard format and help from others can provide quick ways to create monthly newsletters.
Best wishes
Susan

Using a newsletter sounds like a good way to keep in touch with the students. It would allow those students who have gotten jobs to have their names and pictures in a newsletter for their classmates to see, as well as on our star board. Each employed graduate has their name and picture placed on a star and it is posted on a bulletin board with a celestial background.

Do you tie in your newsletter in with an alumni association? If so, how does that work out?

HI Alison

Great idea about the newsletter. Also like the fact that you include grad photos, etc. in the newsletter when they get jobs and also on your star board.

Have you thought about sending the announcements to the student's local newspaper? You could create a press release format and plug in the information about each student. This promotes the student and your school.

I would definitely send the newsletter to alumni. Alumni are a great resource for assistance, they can enroll in continuing education, and refer students to your school.

Best wishes
Susan

We have tried to sent monthly newsletters to our past graduates but we get most of them back due to address changes, that they don't let us know about....mbj

HI Mary

Yes, students tend to move a lot. To keep your records up to date have instructors pass around change of address forms from time to time. When students graduate start sending them information within a few days and then once a month. You are more likely to get change of address notice from the post office. Also ask for the name and address of friends and relatives. And also cell phones. Cell phone numbers tend to stay constant these days even when people switch carriers.
Best wishes
Susan

I have recently started an in-house placement newsletter which includes job search tips and names of recent grads hired.
I like the idea of asking graduates to submit articles for the newsletter ... I may also look into an alumni newsletter.

We have the same problem, with addresses AND phone numbers.
I am just now starting a new "tactic" and having graduates (on their final exit meeting after externship) complete self-addressed envelopes (2) for future follow-up surveys. At least this address will be more recent than the original given at enrollment!

Hi Nancy

This sounds great. You can also ist the names of employers where grads work. Shows the kinds of placements you have. You might also consider sending the same newsletter to alumni. While it would be nice to have a separate newsletter, the placement newsletter sounds like it will work fine. You could list continuing ed courses too and program start dates.

Your grads and alumni might want to return to school to train for job enhancement.

Best wishes
Susan

Hi Nancy

Keeping current student phone and addrses numbers is always a challenge. Some schools find that getting the cell phone number helps. Also the contact info for a friend or relative who has been living in the area for a while. During the exit interview you might want to have students fill in an exit survey. You get great feedback and also a current address. The envelops are a great idea.

Best wishes
Susan

Kate, I like your idea! It seems that it would bring the students back into the fold. This would encourage the students who are going through school that there is success at the end and it would make those who have completed the acknowlegement and "Kudos" that they deserve.
As for the students becoming teacher's aids, our accrediting agency mandates that any employee have at least one year in the field if it is a T.A. and two for any other position. I would encourage graduates to come back and talk to the current students and allow for a question and answer time.

Hi Marlene

Great idea to keep in contact with grads. They may be seen as more approachable by other students than staff. And thus more believable. Keeping in touch with grads can impact on enrollment as grads are a great source for referrals.

Best wishes
Susan

We do a graduate placement survey/diploma application. it ask how they would like there name printed on the diploma and also ask if they currently have a job, or if they would like placement assistance. I can then e-mail or mail out job infor to those who need help.

Hi Sheila
Sending a survey when you ask students how they want their names spelled on their diplomas is a great incentive to get placement information. We strongly suggest that placement personnel actively seek out students rather than wait for the student to come to them. Set appointments, place phone calls, list your offerings, have students participate in placement workshops and meetings. Do whatever is needed to be sure your students are using your placement services and getting great jobs.
Best wishes
Susan

Our department also finds it challenging to keep in touch with grads. We are hosting our first Career Fair in a few months and we are hoping to get updated information from grads during the event. I also love the idea of a newsletter, I will definetly get something started.

Hi Yahaira
Can you tell us more about your Career Fair? Is this where employers are available to talk about job opportunities? Or will you offer presentations about job opportunities, etc.? What are the ways you plan to get grads to attend?
Thanks, Susan

We are inviting employers that have openings for our students and grads. I have been informing grads of the career fair when I call to update employment information. If they are working I send them the information to see if they can come and represent their employer. So far, about 95% of the calls have been positive. They either want to come to find a job or want to see if their employer will participate.

Hi Yahaira
Great plan for your Career Fair. And great response. Hope you invite both current and prospective employers. How many students actually attend? Are they usually senior level or at any point in their training? Ideally new students attend to get motivated about what they can expect upon graduation.
Best wishes
Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities