Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Portfolios for Interviews

We have incorporated student portfolios into our professional development courses. We have completed some research on students who carry portfolios (to showcase their work)vs students who go into an interview empty handed and have found the student that has come prepared with portfolios have had a greater success rate. We have also found that it will also assist the students in remembering the actual skills that have acquired during their time at school.

Has anyone else had success with portfolios or feedback?

HI Pam
Can you tell us what kind of programs you offer and what is in the students' portfolios. If the student is a graphic arts major, their best design work would be appropriate. But what if the student is a medical assistant major? Or paralegal? I'm sure there is creative work to add to a portfolio to help students convey what they know as well as help them to remember what they know.
Best wishes
Susan

Susan,

Some programs offered at our institute; Computer Science, Business Management/Accounting, Office Systems, Marketing/Sales, Electronics, medical assistance, Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Drafting plus more. All students need to place examples of projects that are relevant across curriculum; ie. written/oral communications (sample ltrs, ppt. presentations). Course specific items include projects such as; Staffing Guides, Project management, implementation schedules, Budgeting, surveys created for research, spreadsheeting, database, Business Plans, Marketing plans, drawings, financial projects (peachtree), Websites designed, Labor Cost, RFP's that have been written, Advertising projects, Photos of Culinary creations. The list goes on and on! We are very prpoject driven at our school. Mixing theory with hands on applied applications. We have found that it really helps the students to say to the interviewer.. "Let me show what I've done"!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
Pam

Pam

Projects for portfolios for any major are such a great idea. It seems it would also be necesssary to coach students on how to use their portfolios during job interviews.

Anyone else use projects for student portfolios?
Susan

Our student massage therapists perform a 150 hour clinical as part of a 720 hour certification in massage therapy. For each massage they perform, the client must fill out a feedback form. Our students are encouraged to create their own portfolios by photocopying these feedback forms and keeping them in chronological order in a binder. When they are ready to go on interviews, the forms can be used in many ways: to show how much a student improved during the program (beginning forms are not usually as positive as ones toward end), how much positive feedback he got from his clients, proof of how many clients rebooked with the student therapist, how many clients were generated by the student, how many hours in one day a student can perform massage.

To be honest, I have only had a couple of students really use these but both were hired quickly and thought the idea was great. Let's face it, some industries like sales have interviewees bring in their brag book; that's really what this is.

Keep encouraging it.

Hi Teri

Thanks so much for sharing the details of your student portfolios. Very creative. In addition to the actual written forms, commendations, etc. the student could also summarize accomplishments and add to resume. Then the portfolio supports the summary.
Great information and so easy to implement.
Thanks
Susan

Our school is very new - less than 3 yrs old - and the Student Services/Placement department is even newer than that! However, we recognized the need to encourage portfolio development recently and though it requires a lot of work, the students are catching on.

One thing I'm trying to put together to help int he process is an packet that will be given to the student at orientation that describes what a portfolio is and how to get it started. The packet also has a form that is very similar to a job application that helps them get everything down on paper.

How do you get students prepared to start on their portfolios?

I am even newer than you--Could you please send some examples of what is in your packet--I would love to do a portfolio with my students. hflynt@vc.edu

Hildie, yes would you be so kind as to send me a packet as well. Thanks Sheila
sleitzel@empire.edu

HI Amy
Sounds like you are doing a great job in preparing students for the workplace right from the start. You are introducing them to the idea of creating and saving their best work. Perhaps it would be helpful to work with instructors so that in each class several items can be created to use in a portfolio. Portfolios are useful for any industry. Grads can pull out whatever they want to help talk about themselves.
Best wishes
Susan

I have found that if I start working with students as they enter the program, by the time they gradout they have what is needed and they are ready. It takes more time and work but it's worth it.
Richard
P.S. I would also like to see the packet if you would.
chudybudy@hotmail.com

HI Richard
That's the secret. Start placement and employment skills training on day 1. Keep reminding students that they are in school to learn everything they can so they are effective during the job search process and get great jobs.
Best wishes
Susan

Portfolios are a great resource for interviewing. I have suggested many times that our grads who have several awards, licenses or certifications, creat a portfolio to take and share with the employer during an interview. I believe it is a great selling point for the grad to show in a professional manner how organized and accomplished they have been throughout their professional careers.

Hi PAtricia
Really great idea about portfolios. When students are told about creating portfolios it can be a motivator also. Early on they will start to think about doing their best work to save for their portfolio. This works in any kind of school - not just the arts and design.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Amy,

This is an excellent idea! could I also request an example of your porfolio packet be sent to me at fionat@sae.edu

Best
Fiona

Hi Amy,

This is an excellent idea! could I also request an example of your porfolio packet be sent to me at fionat@sae.edu

Best
Fiona

Hi Amy and Fiona
Great idea to share portfolio ideas with all of us. Can you let us know portfolio requirements and expectations for students. Also the instructions you give students on how to use them.
Thanks
Susan

Our Paralegal students keep a portfolio of the different types of documents that they are able to create/draft. They are encouraged to take their portfolios with them on their interviews. Feedback from their externships and any letters of recommendations are kept in their portfolios also. A portfolio is also a way for students to look back on their accomplishments and it makes them proud of themselves.

You're right Maria. Portfolios are very powerful. And it's amazing that portfolios can be created for a variety of programs. Students can see how they improved over the course of their training. And they have some evidence of their abilities to give them courage during their interviews. And if structured effectively, portfolios can include some great tools to use on the job.
Best wishes
Susan

Our school requires each student to complete a porfolio as part of their Career Management class. I visit the students in a first term class called Career Developmet to discuss the portfolio and the itmes they should be collecting for inclusion in the portfolio during their time at our school. Also, prior to graduation, each potential graduate MUST meet with me and I review their final resume, portfolio and an exit interview form. Local employers have told me that they really like our portfolios and it really does help them quickly make a hiring decision.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities