Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resume Building

Hi Cheryl

There was nothing included in your message. Look forward to seeing your ideas.
Best wishes
Susan

Many students need help in resume writing as they do not understand their own self-worth and value their experiences. Many students many find it difficult to validate thier own-self worth.To help in this process provide positive vocabulary words, web sites to visit and develop a long range plan to assist students in this process. Help students focus on the goal, as there is no limit to the possibilities. Creating a peer group discussion as well as a student mentor program works well. Students love to share and help each other.

Hi Dorothy
Yes, I have also found that you can create a great change in a student's perspective and self esteem by creating a resume. Students can see what they have done in life and note common skills, interests, and abilities that thread their lives regardless of what they have done. I have worked on resumes with mature adults and enjoy seeing their eyes light up when they see their accomplishments.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Cheryl,

I like to schedule one on one appointments with our students for resume building. I believe it helps the ones whom have never worked feel secure and safe when they are talking to me.

John

Hi Cheryl and John
One-on-one meetings helps students see that school staff are open and receptive and there to assist them to be successful.
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Cheryl,

I schedule a one on one appoinment with the student.

Individual appointments are a priority, in our opinion. It lets the student open up to what their concerns are. And it makes it possible for you to address them and determine what kind of employment skills training that student needs. Thanks, Susan

Building it the right way is important. Structure and consistencies are very important. Text, font the whole works.

That's the basic of building a resume.

Good points Claudia. Also consider resume development as a self esteem process for the student. Students can learn more about themselves and their accomplishments regardless of their work experience. And they will start to get comfortable talking about themselves at the interview. Thanks, Susan

I find if resume writing is done in a group then the students feel they are all doing the same thing as a group, if an individual comes to me for one on one help then i certainly would give them the attention and help them.

Drafting resumes in a group is a great idea. It gives students the chance to hear the challenges and solutions of others. Most students share the same issues - what to put on the resume when there is little employment experience. Good idea for one on one to give the student custom help. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities