Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job Analysis

How are knowledge and skills different?

Knowledge and skills are very different. A person could be the resident expert in his or her field from a pure knowledge perspective and still not have the requisite skills to convey that knowledge so the students can learn. To me knowledge and skills are two sides of the same coin.

Bobby, you are correct. Having the skills does not mean that one can impart knowledge. It often takes training to be able to explain things in different ways and to be sensitive to different learning styles.

Skills and knowledge are vastly different. One may have knowledge of something, but if they have never actually performed the task, it will be very difficult for them to TEACH the skill correctly. Proper skills usually come performing the task. Students will know when the instructor is uncertain about teaching a skill.

Knowledge is what you have learned about a particular subject and skills pertain to what an individual has learned and perform. For example, individuals have the ability to learn to become an MA Assistant, but there are skills that are needed to be able to perform the job efficiently. For example the lab skills are hands on. A student can read how to give an injection, but they must have the skill and ability to actually perform the task successfully.

Knowledge is what you acquire and learn from the books and literature. Skills is the actual hands on, ex. technique of giving an injection, technique of drawing blood or even proper ways of obtaining urine specimens

Knowledge is what the instructor knows and retains from his/her education. Skills is what he/she hs learned and how they are applied in the classroom or medical office. I feel skills are a very important process of the students learning ability.

I disagree that knowledge is acquired through education alone. Knowledge can be gained in many ways including through experience in a work environment rather than through academics.

I think the the difference between knowledge and skill lies in the intellectual understanding vs the application of a context.

You may be able to tie a knot without understanding of how it holds or you may understand friction although you can't tie a knot.

Xander,

I agree that knowledge can be gained in ways other than just formal education. Those with experience applying the subject matter outside of the classroom can bring a lot to the table that will help our students.

Documenting formal education is less challenging than is documenting mastery gained from experience. In order to do so, we try to secure things like job descriptions, samples of successful application of the objectives through portfolios and through recommendations.

How do you document a faculty member's qualifications for a teaching assignment when those qualifications are based on something other than formal coursework?

Knowledge is information you have in your head; skill is the ability to use knowledge to actually accomplish something.

Thanks, Susana!

What are some of the important knowledge and skills that you look for in your faculty members?

Knowledge is what you acquire and learn from the books and literature. Skills are what you develop.

Knowledge is attained primarily through education and experience. The difference with skills is the ability to apply that education or experience in performing an actual task. It is fine to be able to know how to do something in theory but you need the skill to do the task.

Ken

Kenneth,

Thank you for this post. How do you determine if a teacher has a mastery of instructional methodology and instructional technology and the ability to advise students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

The teaching demo gives us the ability to measure the level of proficiency for instructional methodology and technology. The interview process gives us a good idea of the applicant's ability to interact and advise students.

Ken

Knowledge is something that you read about, study and can speak. Skills are something you can do. I can tell you all day long HOW to draw a kitten, but if you asked for a demonstration, it would look like my 6 year old niece did it. (I can't draw) :)

For my school, you have to have both. I have been working with one of my instructors who has over 15 years in the field, and has the skill set to teach a class I had her instructing in. What she didn't have (at first) is the knowledge of what our school wanted the students to know, and how much information to give them. I started working with her to train her how to prepare for the class, by gaining the knowledge needed for the class. She has greatly improved because she uses the two together.

Sign In to comment