Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job Offer and Orientation

What are two goals for the instructor's first day?

First goal to give them warm welcome and introduce them to your staff and faculty, walk them to their classroom introduce them to their class and finish all the necessary paparwork

If the question refers to the two goals that the instructor is expected to meet, the goals would be that the instructor prepared a lesson plan and delivered the instruction adequately enough to keep the students interested in returning the next day. As far as the supervisory goals, one would be to make sure the instructor has all the tools that they need to perform their duties and to assist the instructor with as much information as possible about the students they are about to teach (if applicable).

GOOD TRAINING AND KNOWING THE STAFF

WELCOME, MEET STAFF, TOUR, PAPERWORK

Normally, I have already given the hired instructor a tour of the school and other information at the interview. For orientation, I introduce them to staff and faculty and provide them with a short powerpoint presentation.

My goals for my instructors on their first day is geared towards their own goals. At the end of the day, I like to see, first and foremost, that they are comfortable with their decision to work for me and secondly, they should be on a first name basis with the rest of my staff. A cohesive relationship between instructors and staff will make or break someones ability to succeed in my employment.

I typically let the first day be very relaxed so that the new instructor can get comfortable in the new working environment. I make sure they meet the entire staff and also give them time to start looking at the teaching material (good instructors are eager to do this).

I think the two most important goals on the first day is introductions to all staff and faculty and having the instructor shadow classes of a seasoned instructor. This will help the new instructor to assimilate, feel comfortable, and learn first hand what is expected of them.

Sign In to comment