Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selection

What type of questions should never be asked during an interview?

You definitely avoid questions about religion, sexual orientation, and family life. Marital Status, how many children, etc are inappropriate.

Maiden name
Ethnicity
Religion
Disabilities
Arrests
Credit
Non-job related conduct

Age, ethnicity, religion, I think are the 3 big ones.

Those that are considered to be contrary to policy, such as religion, race, ethnic background, age, etc... Need to be considerate of any ethical violations as well.

In addition to these questions not being on the application, they are also questions that can not be asked at any time.

What is your maiden name?
What is your religion?
Are you married?
How many dependents do you have?

Remember that there are things that are expressly prohibited and those which your company may not want you to ask.

Illegal Interview Questions

Employers should not ask about any of the following, because to not hire a candidate because of any one of them is discriminatory:

Race
Color
Sex
Religion
National origin
Birthplace
Marital/family status

Anything else you can think of?

Ethnicity,, Gender, Age, Religion, Disabilities, Arrest or Felons, Do they smoke or Drink, not job related, Do not be discriminate against a group

Brenda

You are correct. It is almost as important to remember what not to ask, as what you are supposed to ask.

Should never ask if ever been convicted of a felony, should never ask about disabilities or questions pertaining to their personal life, # of children, # of marriages or if they attend church

RELIGION, RACE, POLITIC

The Maiden name is irrelevant and should not be asked.Ethnicity should not be asked because it does not matter the ethnic background of the in dividual. Gender questions shoudl be avoided unless it is specific to a particular job.
Age - is irrelevant and should not be asked.
Religion should not be asked instead the hours should be disclosed and the employee needs to say if they can work the hours.
Interviewers need to be sensitive to the questions and comments that are expressed during the interview.

You can ask someone if they have been convicted of a felony. You can't ask them if they have been arrested.

Xander,

This is a very important point. Thanks for making it.

Some career colleges do formal background checks on all candidates before offering a position. The background checks could identify things like defaults on student loans that typically kept an offerfrom being made.

What are the "deal breakers" for you?

According to the material, the interviewer should not sit down and simply talk with the applicant. They should not ask questions like, "So tell me why I should hire you?", "Why do you want to work here?", etc.

Brandi,

The best types of interview questions require applicants to discuss what they have done previously in specific situations rather than asking for hypothetical responses. These "behavior-based" interview questions often start with "tell me about a time when ...."

The theory here is that most people will behave in a given situation much like they have in past situations. Four of five of these questions, based on the job requirements, typically help to identify qualified candidates.

What might be one behavior-based question you could ask a candidate for a teaching position?

Both in application form and during an interview, questions related to deal-breaker chracteristics are most important to ask. Any questions which might lead to legal problems should never be asked, such as one's marital status, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disabilities, and any non-job related conduct.

Yan,

What are the "deal-breakers" for your institution, excluding the obvious legal ones?

The following sample questions are the "deal-breakers".

1. What makes you think you are competent in teaching this subject?
2. What would you do with your first session and how would you organize the session?
3. What would you include in your syllabus and when would you give your syllabus to the students?
4. What teaching methods would you use in class?.....

Deal breakers for me are honesty, integrity, flexibility and a passion for teaching. If a candidate is only interested in the money, I immediately scratch them off the list because the real purpose in teaching is to impart knowledge and watch the progression of the students -- understand, apply and create.

Sign In to comment