Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Trying not to be biased

It is extremely bothersome to me when someone calls about a job posting and before asking anything AT ALL about the job want to know how much it pays. I understand (and we all have been there) that the salary is important, but unfortunately when someone does that it just sticks in my mind. At that point you wonder if they are interested in the job because they "really are" or because of the pay scale.

Making the Right Choice

When a layoff becomes necessary, how do you decide which employees to let go? What factors are addressed and why?

Communicating the Layoff

What are at least three things you would consider when communicating a layoff to your staff?

Two Approaches: Informal and Formal Performance Assessments

What is the difference between an informal performance assessment and a formal performance assessment, and when are each best used?

The Employee Development Plan

What process do you follow when helping an employee create an individual development plan?

Role responsibility, authority and accountability

As a supervisor, I have found that if I have people in my charge that I can count on to do the job correctly and in a timely manner, I can "let go" of much of the "hands on" stuff and not have to worry that it is not being taken care of properly. Don Stamile Chief Instructor

Play the fence

You can not stay on the fence, you have to do the job and get it done, with as much PC as possible.

Managing Personality Types

I think employees with different personality types can be a useful tool to managers. A diversity of personalities can bring forth a variety of ideas and methods to help managers decide who is best at getting the job done. Don Stamile Chief Instructor

Retaining your top Employees

Retaining significant invesment in recruiting and training a new employee to bring them to the point where they are productive, if the employye leave the company never recoup on that invesment.

Delegating or Dumping

Delegating to a supordinate it should serve two purposes, one is the must lighten your load so you can concentrate on more important issus, and second is that it must help the receiver learn and grow

Employee Dismissal

On friday is not a good day to dismissal any person. the bes time to say any employee is on monday because the employee have more time to get a new job.

Effective job Interview

Is very importa to take job interview on a private office and the same time very confortable.

Recruiting the best person for the job

The school used at diferent form to recruiting a new person for a job for esample: webside, yelow pages i think the web side is most effective.

Delegation responsibilities

In order to delegate responsibilities to others you must first understand what it is you want or need to have accomplished. Finding the right person or team to perform the task, and to have some set guidelines, for follow ups. Keeping in touch is very valuable to you and the team combined. This shows you team your trust and interest in the project, and it in case direction is needed you can assist.

Letting go of the hands on

I have been given the oportunity to become head of my department. The biggest trouble is not the running of the department but in trying to let go of the hands on jobs. I could and have delegated some responsibilities to others, but some can't handle what needs to be done, so in I jump. What's the best approach to getting these individuals to perform?

Managing Personalities

Not only id it important to know types of personalities, but how to arrange these personalities to get the best result's needed. In a learning enviroment we need to arrange these student in a way to best accomodate their learning experance. Place the wrong types together and nobody will get what they need from the course, but to place the complementing types together, one can help the other.

Employee retention

What impact do you think that the current state of the economy has on employee retention?

Stay True to Your Personality

I think it is also important to mention that as managers, we need to make sure we're not altering who we are to try and get buy in from employees. If we are trying to relate to a personality but aren't true to who we are- it can come off as being fake or phoney. One of the most effective ways I have learned to manage is to learn how to word things to employees so the point is conveyed clearly according to their personality.

The question that I have is how do you manage employess to stay productive?

How find a new catagory for an individual?

The questions is how do you place someone in a catagory if they don't meet the 4 typical standards (what do you name them)? Or how do you address their personality.