Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

personalities

it is very important that you know the "type" of person that you are working with.

Delegation

Very useful

Evaluating Employee Development Needs

What methods have you used, or will you use, to evaluate the ongoing developmental needs of your direct reports?

The Motivational Link

Motivation is a key link to ongoing employee development and performance. What motivational techniques do you believe work best when developing your employees along their career paths?

Employee Diversity

Some may argue that having diversity can slow down decision making and work flow, I have experienced that diversity produces more well rounded decision making and confidence in work flow because more angles and avenues to success are considered in decision making.

Delegation

Healthy Delegation is always key to being a productive department.

Delegations Do's and Don'ts

Very helpful information.

Employee diversity

It is really important to have employee diversity.

Delegation of tasks helps build a proactive team.

I have found the more you delegate the more people are willing to take initiative and take on tasks without even being asked.

Delegating

How do you juggle Delegating within Multiple Departments?

New instructor questions.

I am a new instructor and I am having problems with my students not following directions. Simple instructions too.....don't text in class. I can manage time well but have a time with managing student behavior. Any ideas? There are also certain policies and procedures I need to follow with in the organization.

Delegating

How can you confirm if you are a effective delegator?

Delegating tasks

Is empowering a good practice when delegating a task?

Time management

Besides prioritizing, what are other ways to avoid overwhelming during a task? anyone's expertise?

How to encourage empowerment in delegating task

How to encourage empowerment when delegating tasks?

4 Types of Employees

The knowledge I have gained from this course has caused me to think outside the box when it comes to hiring and managing employees. Instead of hiring just employees that qualify, I now understand to hire those who would work excellent together as a team instead of individually, unless the job requires them to do so. The problem is that some people don't really know what type they are because a lot of people are pieces of each. Some can possibly be a piece or whole of all 4 types. As a boss hiring an employee, do I know which… >>>

Trasitions duties from one position to another position

I have noticed a trend within growing organzations, where the organization grows and job duties grow until new positions are created. The general purpose of the job is to take some of the existing "extra duties" of current employees to create part of this position. The next things that happen next do not always turn out for the best. Sometimes duties are "dropped" and the original party runs away and remarks "that is your job now." I see departments not only giving the prearranged "extras" to the new employee, but then dumping some of their day-to-day things that they do… >>>

The Theory is Great!

But in day to day operations I find myself keeping my hands on the projects to be sure they are done timely and accurately. Is there a balance that can be accomplished in smaller operations that may not be possible in larger corporate run operations? Nate

leadership

this was a good example of a great leader and not a follower

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other. Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect… >>>