Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retaining your top Employees

Retaining significant invesment in recruiting and training a new employee to bring them to the point where they are productive, if the employye leave the company never recoup on that invesment.

Ramset,
The financial investment is a key component in employee retention. There is also a employee morale consideration. As employees leave, the work continues, and continuing employees need to pick up the slack. If that continues for any length of time, employees resent the extra work. When long-term employees leave, you also loose the historical perspective that they bring to the table as well.
Pat

If the employee leaves, you may never be able to recoup that particular training investment, however, other employees will see that the company invests in furthering the career advancement and training in the top performers, which I feel would increase loyalty and productivity in those that see the value in educational and career advancement. You simply cannot retain every employee, regardless of how hard you try, however, you can try to increase the loyalty, satisfaction, and interest of those who have a stronger connection to your company through valuing and furthering them as individuals.

Erin,
I have always been a proponent of treating all employees with dignity and respect. If an employee feels valued, they are more likely to stay. Years ago, we started a group in Wisconsin whose acronym was SPIWET. That stood for "Society for the Promotion of Individual Worth in Education and Training." Membership came from the public universities and technical colleges. The intent was for managers to value their employees through both words and actions. I doubt that the group still exists but the objective of the group is still valid today and supports what you commented in your post.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sign In to comment