Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Employee Dismissal

On friday is not a good day to dismissal any person. the bes time to say any employee is on monday because the employee have more time to get a new job.

Ramset,
If you dismiss an employee on a Friday, they have the weekend to think about the dismissal and to get angry. They cannot begin their job search and, therefore, it becomes a very trying time. A Monday dismissal gives them the week to search for a new job. I also believe that it is important to have another person in the room when the dismissal occurs. That eliminates the "he said, she said" syndrome. That person should be from human resources so they can them handle the details regarding cleaning out the office, returning company computer, phone, keys, insurance, etc.
Pat

I wish I had known this. I dismissed an employee on a Friday and I had the worst possible outcome ever. The employee then spent the entrire weekend on tye internet slandering the companys name.

Hi Carmen,
Preparation for an employee dismissal is just as important as is preparation for the hiring process. Picking the time for the dismissal to occur is part of that preparation. Conducting a dismissal early in the week allows time for the employee to absorb the news and to begin to plan for future employment opportunities. Allowing the employee to maintain their dignity and respect is a great way to ensure that the negative comments about the company do not occur on the internet or elsewhere and that employee morale remains intact.
Pat

I agree. I also prefer earlier in the day, with the thought that it feels more like a slap in the face if at the end of a long day.

You need to think about the overall impact of the dismissal. If it is done early in the day, there is the potential of that employee's interaction with other employees in a negative way. It might impact employee morale as well as fear and suspicion that it might happen to them as well. When it is done early in the week and later in the day, the employee does not have to face other employees, especially if the dismissed employee is emotional. A dismissal is never a pleasant task but, as a supervisor, it is a necessary one. Doing it in a way that impacts fewer people and allows the dismissed employee to save face is the best way to carry out the task. Remember, also, that a dismissal should never be a surprise. Once the company has done everything it can to improve performance and dismissal is the only option, the employee should be well aware that this is the obvious next step.
Pat

Sign In to comment