Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective job Interview

Is very importa to take job interview on a private office and the same time very confortable.

Ramset,
What kinds of things would you do to prepare for the actual interview? Preparing a list of questions to ask the candidate ensures that each candidate gets a fair interview. Since you will probably have more than one candidate that you will be interviewing, asking all candidates the same questions gives you a basis for comparison. I agree with you that you want to conduct the interview in private and to make the candidate as comfortable as possible. As you prepare your list of questions, you need to know what the qualifications are for the position. Referring to the job description will help to guide you. The questions should reflect those qualifications. Pat

It is important to formulate the right questions and make the applicant confortable and relaxed.

Nelly,
Being prepared is key and part of that process involves preparing the questions as you indicate. I have found that asking all candidates the same basic questions allows me to compare candidates at the end. Asking questions that relate to the job description is also important. Also, the way the questions are written will determine the quality of the answers, so it is important to ask open ended questions rather than those that allow for a yes or no answer.
Pat

I have not been in a position to hire for quite some time. I am now actively looking to hire within my department and I am so grateful to be taking this course! I am excited to begin the process and use the list of possible questions to develop my own interview guide.
It seems like a daunting process and would hope that I make good choices. Has anyone had the experience of hiring the person they thought would be the best fit and it turned out that they REALLY weren't? What do you do if someone interviews really well, but ends up not performing at all they way you anticipated?

Susan,
It is difficult in a simple interview process to be assured that you are making the very best choice. That is why it is so important to be well prepared and to take the process seriously. It all begins with preparing a well-written job description which clearly reflects the requirements and responsibilities of the position. I sometimes prepare a check sheet that I use to review resumes. It allows me to compare candidates and to make certain that they do possess the requirements. Once I have screened the candidates, I will usually conduct a phone screen. This saves both time and money and you are not influenced by physical appearance. Preparing questions for this part of the process is just as important as for the in person interview. Allowing the candidate to talk the majority of the time is critical. It is so easy to get caught up in a sales job of our own in an attempt to convince the candidate to come and work for us. I also like to include others in the interviewing process so I have multiple opinions which can confirm my decision or raise further questions which can be answered in a follow up phone call, if necessary.
I have hired those I thought would be ideal only to find them to be quite different on the job. That is where the 30 or 60 day review come in handy. Reviewing their performance and requiring corrective action can hopefully fix the situation. If not, it then becomes necessary to part ways.
Good luck as you hire for your openings!

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I completely agree that both kind of interviews (by telephone and in person )is a great opportunity even for the interviewer to obtain more information and make the best decision for Company. Listening the peer's opinion on an interview team should be always considered in order to make the correct decision to determine the ideal candidate.

Yanely,
Your response is on target; however, how would you prepare for these interviews and ensure that you are applying a consistent approach to the evaluation of both interviews? How do you ensure that the feedback from your team members, who have been involved in the process, is objectively evaluated?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment