Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stay True to Your Personality

I think it is also important to mention that as managers, we need to make sure we're not altering who we are to try and get buy in from employees. If we are trying to relate to a personality but aren't true to who we are- it can come off as being fake or phoney. One of the most effective ways I have learned to manage is to learn how to word things to employees so the point is conveyed clearly according to their personality.

Agree. I would think good leaders display flexibility and adaptation...with both tasks and employees.

I also agree with your statement. It is important to 'hear' what we are saying to others. More importantly, how we are saying it to them. Any situation can be changed by the tone of voice and the order of words when spoken. For example, if the word 'you' is used over and over again at the beginning of a sentance during a bad situation; the employee can become defensive and feel personally attacked. This would especially hold true to emotional personalities.

I agree we have to understand our personality and communication style first. Once we know what we are we can make slight modifications when we know the style/type of our support employees.

I believe that managers should set an example of being genuine! My experience has been when managers care about truthful and sensative communication, more productive outcomes are realized.

Very true! Altering our personality will only confuse the employee. Knowing the way we communicate as managers will help us be effective in giving direction to any of these types of employees.

Sign In to comment