Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

How to recieve a certificate for completing this course

Does anyone know how we receive confirmation that this course has been completed?

Be CLEAR about delegating tasks..

Communication is the key here. If your employees either don't understand, or have an incomplete understanding of the task they are being delegated, this will result in costly and time-consuming errors. The best approach is to explain the task to the delegee, and then Q&A them regarding their understanding of the task as completely as possible. Another excellent practice when delegating authority is to WRITE DOWN what was agreed to and have it SIGNED by both the boss and the delegee--this protects both the boss and the delegee and provides a record of the delegated task. I welcome any input!… >>>

Delegating

Discuss and Tell is the style that most managers seem to like best and revert to under pressure. It seems like it let's them be both "participative" and in control. But using just Discuss and Tell is a bad idea, especially when you're helping a subordinate grown and develop.

Not bringing a resume to the interview

I am not sure if I am the only one but is it ok for the candidate NOT to bring their resume with them to the interview even though we have obtained one from when the candidate applied on line? I've had numerous candidates tell me they didn't bring one for a variety of reasons. It drives me a little crazy as I perceive this as not being prepared even though the interview goes well.

Providing feedback for the unhired

I often get asked for feedback for those that are not offered employment or selected for the interview process. What is the best way to provide feedback, if at all?

Small Staff

How do you delegate with a small staff, when you feel that everyone's plate is already full? Suggestions/thoughts?

Retribution!

The employer must behave in a professional, unbiased manner. If the employer has followed all the legalities associated with employee relations, he or she has nothing to fear. Unless the dismissal is disciplinary in nature because of employee misconduct, there are successful ways of easing the separation anxiety of everyone involved. Severance packages and job relocation services may be a part of the termination interview. Tactful language and allowing the employee to leave the business with dignity in front of co-workers are important. These considerations help make the employee dismissal process less painful for everyone involved.

Employee Dismissal: Unpleasant, But Sometimes Necessary

The most appropriate way is to hold the meeting with the employee in a private sound proof room, preferably without windows, so on lookers cannot get a glimps of what is going. A monday afternoon is a good day to hold the termination meeting. Explain to the employee why he/she is being dismissed with a tone of voice that is calm, unemotional. Answer any questions the employee may have and refer them to HR for further clarification on matters regarding COPA, ect. Allow the employee to say a quick goodbye to fellow workers so long as he/she is acting reasonable… >>>

Employee Dismissal: Unpleasant, But Sometimes Necessary

What is the most appropriate and professional way to dismiss an employee?

Do Employee Retention Strategies Work?

We have regular meetings to discuss any issues or concerns our employees may have. We are a small company so it is much easier to handle problems such as job satisfaction or performance. The three main strategies I use in dealing with my employees is heart to heart discussions, regular evaluations of performance (to give postitive feedback) and my "open door" policy allowing staff to come to me at any time they feel neccessary

Retaining Your Top Employees

Rentention is very important to a company. Long Term, loyal employees are hard to find. Most employees take a while to get settled, and confortable with a new position. In some companies that deal with education or private license that require their employees to hold, sometimes can be even more difficult to find. Some certifications and permits require extra school, and must be obtain before even consideration for employement.

Do Employee Retention Strategies Work?

What employee retention strategies does your school have in place? If you were to identify the top three most successful employee retention strategies, what would they be?

Retaining Your Top Employees

How much effect do you think employee retention has on the overall productivity of an organization? Please explain your answer.

The Challenge of Delegation

The biggest challenge of delegating to me is letting go! Many times I feel that I can do it faster and better than trying to take the time to explain what needs to be done to someone else. This module has been very helpful in showing the need to delegate so that your "plate is not overwhelmed". Many of my staff members are very capable and creative. Many times their ideas are great and much more effective. I do realize the need to delegate and give responsiblity to others so that they may grow within the organization and gain confidence.

Delegating or Dumping

Delegating tasks or assignments is different than dumping in that when we "dump" things on our employees we do bother explaining what we need, what is expected of them, or what the end result should be. In short, we just throw tasks or projects at our employees and expect them to understand what we want, or just "read our mind". Delegating assignments and projects requires explanation, expectations, and clarifications. It also allows feedback from the employees, a time for questions to be answered, and gives everyone involved a sense of organization.

The Challenge of Delegation

When delegating a task or assignment to a direct report, what do you believe is the most challenging part of the process? Why?

Delegating or Dumping

What is the difference between delegating and dumping? What characteristics define a successful delegation process?

Recruiting the Best Person for the Job

Our website will enthusiam the candidates demostrating our atmosphere. We also use staffing companies.

The Effective Job Interview

It always a good idea to have some standard questions to guide the interview process. Although it may seem tedious taking copious notes, it will help you to remember the interviewee's comments. It is also important to make the interviewee comfortable so that you can see them in their true nature. I suggest that the beginning of the interview is one of the most important in that establishing a repore will bring out more of what the interviewee is like personality wise. I feel this is one of the most important aspects of the interview process.

Recruiting the Best Person for the Job

What type of recruiting practices or procedures does your school use? How effective are they? What do you believe is the best type of recruitment method?