Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Role responsibility, authority and accountability

As a supervisor, I have found that if I have people in my charge that I can count on to do the job correctly and in a timely manner, I can "let go" of much of the "hands on" stuff and not have to worry that it is not being taken care of properly.

Don Stamile
Chief Instructor

I thing it is always good to be concern with the operation even if I have all the trust in my supervor, If thing go wrong I am the responsible party.

Supervision takes on allot of responsibility. It can be very frustrating at times as well. Being organized helps.

I agree; I have a tendency to count on certain people and other people are never counted on; I don't know if that is a good thing.

That is why it is so important to hire the right people...and not just "place a body".

I think that's a good idea as long as it doesn't take you away from the "front lines." I have a hands-on leadership style, so I won't completely remove myself from rolling up my sleeves and getting down and dirty - it's how I get initial respect from "the troops."

I agree, if you have to do someone's job for them, you don't need them in the first place.

I agree. It is important to be able to trust your staff that they will do their work properly and in a timely fashion.

Being organized and having the proper training helped me transition into the role of "supervisor."

Treating others the way you wish to be treated can go a long way towards establishing a common bond and respect. Key elements in the workplace are loyalty and trust as they allow for a more cohesive workplace. Many people embrace being "empowered" to get the job done!

I think "balance" is the operative word. One must understand when to let go and when to dive in--with always having a good oversight system in place. In addition, employees are too diverse to apply one methodolgy. We must adapt to learning styles, frames of reference, and situational events.

Continuing to have a hands on approach, demonstrates to your employee(s) that you are a part of the team. I have found, that builds on the trust/respect they have for you.

This is why it's important to trust your staff. However, it's also important to remember that you are ultimately responsible for the oversight of that task, and need to take an active role in managing, if not actively doing. Just passing work along without offering to aid or give advice frustrates employees deeply.

Sign In to comment