Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Employee Development Plan

What process do you follow when helping an employee create an individual development plan?

I have found that the most effective way to create an employeed development plan is to partner with the employee and identify specific areas where they "agree" that they need to improve thier skill sets. Then, empower them to share their ideas. It is important to already have clearly established what resources and training is available however, otherwise they may have ideas that you cannot accomodate or deliver. But the more the employee is involved in their own development, the more committment they will have and they will be more successful.

I have found that this is the only way a development plan will be successful. If a plan is developed "for the employee" it is doomed to fail. The employee must buy into the plan and feel that they have been part of the development for it to become a success. If they see the need for improvement in an area and help to construct the steps needed to improve then the likelihood of success goes way up and is easier to achieve.

I normally start with a conversation with the employee to see where they see themselves and where they want to go. We then use the job description for that position and their current job description to see what the appropriate plan of action would be for the employee as well as the organization.

I begin by informing the employee/s of company procedures and expectations for implementing objectives. Then I ask for their understanding of the company mission and goals. When there is a clear understanding for all involved. I move forward to having the employee/s submit a development plan to outline the actions required to acheive the goal. All parties involved then proceed to tweeking the proposal until a viable outcome is realized.

I believe the best way to help employees with their IDP is to lead by example. Too many times we're asked to provide this kind of thing without the proper support. I've put together my own which is used as a demo for my faculty, and it's combined with a set of specific requirements as well as several examples of individualized approaches that leave room for creativity. It is obviously a good tool to have, however, individuals are reluctant to initiate and treat it as an academic chore. So, making it a desirable effort is paramount and setting an inspirational example seems to work. CEE offers a very nice format for this and it meets accreditation standards. One on one meetings to set the annual goals is a great idea, but the actual implementation and followup documentation continues to be the challenge.

How would you suggest “guiding “ an employee to include things they intentionally left off of a self-development plan that you feel are critical to them being successful in their position?

Hi Ryan, excellent question,

First, make sure that you have in your own mind what the goals/expectations should be. And, even if intentional, assume that the employee is starting at "square one." Establish a collaboration where it is agreed that both you, as the supervisor, and your report, will each come up with an certain number of goals (equal in number, say, each of you presents five) Then meet to discuss each of the presented goals, affirm the ones that both of you addressed and then prioritize the ones that you wish to see accomplished but are not on the IDP. This brings buy-in into the developmental process.

Jay Hollowell

The process of making an effective IDP first involves each employee asking him or herself the following questions:

1. What direction is my organization going and what will the organization need from me in the future?
2. What are my goals over the next five years?
3. What are my greatest strengths and how can I build on them more effectively?
4. Do I have any serious weaknesses that make it difficult to do my job or will prevent me from reaching my goals?
After answering these questions, the employee should try to identify developmental opportunities that will help him/her build on his/her strengths in such a way that he/she can better serve the needs of the organization and reach his/her goals.

Yes. The development plan is definitely meant to be a two-way street. Insightfulness on the employee's part is a must in order for him/her to take ownership in it and furthers the rate of success.

I like to talk with them about our company goals and go back over that individuals job description

In my case I am hiring & supervising instructors that have little to no experience in education because they have been practicing clinicians. So with the new instructors, I like to start the discussion by aking the employee about what they would like to learn, areas that they find challenging or would like to develop further. And then I will guide them if need be because sometimes they do not know what they need to learn so I may ask them leading questions so they begin to understand what areas are in need of further development then we set up the goals for that evaluation period with a timeline, action steps, expected outcomes, any courses or training required or that would be of benefit, specific goals (because our forms include all of these topics.

In my case I am hiring & supervising instructors that have little to no experience in education because they have been practicing clinicians. So with the new instructors, I like to start the discussion by aking the employee about what they would like to learn, areas that they find challenging or would like to develop further. And then I will guide them if need be because sometimes they do not know what they need to learn so I may ask them leading questions so they begin to understand what areas are in need of further development then we set up the goals for that evaluation period with a timeline, action steps, expected outcomes, any courses or training required or that would be of benefit, specific goals (because our forms include all of these topics.

I like to ask them how the see themselves in their position, and would they want to be their "customer". We then brainstorm, together, a plan based on their feedback.

Hi Mary,

Thanks, this is an excellent activity that draws them directly into the process and makes it personal. Outstanding!

Jay Hollowell

I have been asked that very question in my evaluations. I think it makes us look at our position in a different way. What would we expect from someone in the same position. Do our expectations of other meet what we expect of our selves?

I like to meet with the employee, discuss their interests, how they view the opportunities within the organization, what they would like to accomplish. We then discuss how their strengths line-up with the needs of the organization and how we can further develop opportunities for them to grow and contribute. It is a process that takes time and commitment on both sides.

Vicki,

Thanks, this is SO important to an employee's individual career path and encourages even more buy-in to the organization's mission and core values.

Jay Hollowell

Referring to the job description, I like to sit with the employee to discuss what aspects of the job they find easy and which ones to be difficult. From there, we work on ways to improve those areas and then come up with new ideas to include for their growth.

Thanks Mike,

Excellent process which helps to define a training/development plan for career pathing.

Jay Hollowell

Sign In to comment