Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Confused employee

How would you retain a current employee who is the best fit for your organization, but is now question their career choice?

Finding the perfect employee

I am looking for a front desk employee and my question is, what would be a better canidate a trained set in there ways employee or a trainable employee?

best candidate for the job

How do you put aside personal bias and focus on what type of candidate you are looking for without personal judgment during the interview process? I think working with a round table group helps to bring awareness and provide feedback from your peers.

Just not feeling the vibe

Sometimes in an interview I am not feeling it. The candidate might be experienced for the job but our personalities do not mesh. How do i get over my own opinions and give the person a chance?

Industry Experience and Reputation

In addition to checking the supplied references, what are your thoughts on additionally researching an experienced candidates' "reputation" in the industry.

negative energy

can 1 employee out of 35 keep an entire building from getting better just because of their negative attitude towards life in general?

Bridging Multiple Generations in the Workplace

What are some tips on bridging multiple generations in the workplace? And ways to help them work together on the same team?

Need to Delegate

I will admit that I do not delegate as much as I should. I have identified my primary reasons for not delegating as control and trust. I feel more in control when I am completing a task myself, and I don't usually trust other people to complete tasks that are ultimately my responsibility. I have some improvement in this area. There are a few people I will delegate to, and I have seen positive results. There have been other cases where I have delegated to someone who should have been able to do the job well, and I have not… >>>

Delegating Tasks

I thought it was very helpful and practical to suggest that we are ultimately responsible for the outcome of those delegated tasks. I have had the tendency to delegate unimportant stuff and not follow up to ensure quality. Good reminder!

Would you hire someone right out of college over someone with experien

Pro and cons to this. Someone right out of college has drive. They are more coachable, eager to learn and will accept any pay for the job. Someone with experience might think 2nd about taking the job due to low pay with having more experience.

The job Interview

I agree with the fact that the person doing the interview should make the first impression to make the candidate comfortable. When we don’t allow them to feel relaxed it could only be a small piece of the real candidate we see or a nervous person that is on the spot. Using common interest and giving a comfortable environment will help in seeing the true candidate and allow them to answer honestly and comfortably.

being late for an interview

how do you handle a candidate who is late for their interview? does this mean they are frequently late for other things and will possibly be late for the position they are interviewing for? is it best to give them the benefit of the doubt and still interview them or completely drop them as a candidate? it seems to me like there could be more than one answer to this question.

Employees Who View It As Pushing Work On Them

Does any have suggestions for delegating work when employees view it as you just putting more work on them, no matter how you explain it to them as being beneficial for their development?

Delegating task when working with close friends or family.

Some have said that when in positions of authority one should not be too friendly with subordinates, while others prefer to build a family type atmosphere. I currently work with both friends and family. At first it seems like the ideal situation, but now I am having second thoughts. Any advice on how to get your best friend to get off his butt and work?

Wrong attire but perfect candidate

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience on this subject. Do you think it will be worth it to take the risk with hopes that you can groom that individual into the person that you are looking to hire?

Lower level positions

Everything in this training so far has been very helpful for regular, full-time positions with benefits, etc. However, my entire staff is comprised of part-time, entry-level, barely above mimimum wage employees, so I feel like some of it doesn't quite fit for me. For instance, I'd never send an offer letter for an 11-hour-a-week $8/hour position. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on tweaking the interview and hiring process for employees who aren't making a career move as much as they're adding supplemental income or sometimes just a part-time job as they go through high school or college.

Appropriate Interview Attire

I have noticed a somewhat new dress code trend for interviews. This is highly opinionated; however what are your thoughts about appropriate interview attire? Is it still necessary for men and women to wear business suits to interviews? Many applicants are now wearing more business casual attire. Any thoughts?

Classroom Demonstrations

What is your opinion on Teacher/Instructor demonstrations as part of the overall hiring process? Do you provide a lesson and structure to the prospective candidate or let them provide their own plans? Do you find demonstrations effective?

Resumes

when reviewing a resume what is considered to be more pertinent; education or experience and how is it perceived if they have education before experience and vice versa?

Roundtable for making a hiring decision

What has been your experience using a roundtable approach (as profiled in the course content) to make a final hiring decision? Has anyone ever experienced a type of "group think" (i.e., a senior executive's opinion dominates individual opinions of the candidate)? How did you ensure that group think is avoided?