Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delegating or Dumping

Delegating to a supordinate it should serve two purposes, one is the must lighten your load so you can concentrate on more important issus, and second is that it must help the receiver learn and grow

Ramset,
You are correct in your differentiating between delegate and dump. The task being delegated needs to be an opportunity for the subordinate to develop professionally. Once delegated, it is the supervisor's responsibility to track progress so if help or guidance is needed, it can be provided. The completion of the task is ultimately the responsibility of the supervisor, so it is important that the supervisor not dump and run!
Pat

This is the purpose but with an office of just myself and one other person, sometimes i feel like i am dumping just so that i can keep my head above water. Thankfully she is a fast learner and it generally works out where it can be a good learning experience. We are in the process of putting together a procedures manual for our office so she has turned around tasks to type up the steps for use in the procedures manual. I have seen that she includes more information than i would because i've been doing it longer so it has turned out better with the added details.

Diane,
It is difficult when there are only two of you, but sometimes that can be even better since you are close so can better monitor the progress that she is making. You are fortunate that she is a fast learner so it takes you less time to explain what needs to be done. When an employee is not as far along in her development, it takes so much longer to train and monitor that the tendancy is to just do it yourself. Employees deserve the opportunity for development so that they are ready for the next step in their careers which can also help you in your succession planning. Having someone who is well trained and ready to step into your position when you make your next career moves makes the transition seamless to those outside of the department. Delegating takes time and effort; dumping does not.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sign In to comment