Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Distinguishing quantity from quality of posts in an evaluation

How do you engage students to distinguish between the importance of the number of responses and comments from the importance of the quality of the comment? Are there any circumstances where the quantity of responses should carry more weight than the quality of responses?

Rubrics

Should students be reminded of the rubric throughout the course?

24/7 Instructor

What are some techniques that professors could utilize if they run into issues with students that believe they should be available 24/7.

Difficult students?

What are some of the tactics that some of you utilize when dealing with a student that is abrasive?

Using Facebook

Would creating a Facebook page give students the wrong impression regarding their instructors "professionialism"?

The role of the adviser

Each institution has an organization plan. How do your advisers assist you in retention and encouraging students to participate?

The Components of a Rubric

I construct a rubric that enforces the online institution policies, contains a quantitative aspect and contains a statement of a substantive response. How do you establish a balance between quantity and quality?

A twist on communication

Should you allow students to use information from discussions as a legitimate source that can be posted in a reference list? Afterall the idea comes from a discussion, but do we use conversations in a social "bar-room" as a source of knowledge and ideas.

Students Who Are Lacking in Collaborative Skills?

All-- How can we encourage students to trust their classmates in order to expand and enhance their online leaning experience? Group work can be tricky, but the payoffs at the end of a project can be great.

How do you quell computer fears?

All-- In the online environment, we often teach non-traditional aged students? How can instructors quell the fears of unknown technology for our students?

Reading and Writing . . . Why Such a Deficit?

All-- With the increased presence of social media and texting, many students are losing their ability to communicate in full and complete thoughts? How can online professors embrace technology while underscoring the importance of traditional writing and communication norms?

Self Analysis

All-- How can instructors ensure that students thoughtfully and honestly complete a self-analysis inventory?

Question

What strategies do you have to help with baby boomers who do not have any technical skils in an online environment ????

Time Management . . . The Biggest Pitfall?

With students often juggling school, work and family, is it a disservice to allow and accept make-up work without the need for extenuating circumstances?

To Chat or Not To Chat

With the ever-changing of cyberspace, are more "traditional" live chat that supplant lectures still relevant?

How Do Correct Communication Errors Postively?

How can online teachers guide and correct the communication errors of their online learners without defeating the student?

Motivating Today's Online Student

Greetings All! How can we as online instructors capture the attention of online learners who are often distracted by other online outlets when they are trying to learn?

Why are rubric important to use

Why are rubrics important to use? 1) It shows students a guideline on what is expected of them. 2) It is transparent when you grade student's work 3) It helps complete the learning process for students as they know what they need to improve on their performance.

Generational differences may be a good thing

I've found in the classroom at the more experiences others bring to the classroom, the better off students are in the learning process. Taping into the generational differences and understanding them can bring a variety of responses and insight that can enrich the learning process for students.

Stimulating Discussion

I find that in the course of monitoring discussions on a discussion board or forum it often helps to insert a problem or dilemma involving a concept being discussed. The problems or "dilemmas" that I insert usually involve a situation that I have been personally involved in. I give the facts and simply ask members of the group to suggest their own solutions or analysis. I also encourage students to use involvement in such relevant situations as the ideal way to demonstrate how such a problem or dilemma might be solved. This type of technique gives the person providing it… >>>