Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Following the Rubric

At times it is difficult to get student to follow the rubric. They often times debate the scores that were given and it can be challenging to explain to them why they received a certain score, since discussions are subjective, in most cases. How do you go about explaining to students why they received a low score, when posts are sometimes subjective?

Mrs. Mitchell

Letrice,

Ah - if they are debating - the criteria or points may not be clear. For example, I never put a range like 1-3 points for a certain criteria as then there is room for debate. Make your criteria and point assigned clear. Hope this helps.

I think the point of the rubric is to create a scenario that is not subjective. Student opinions on the question at hand may vary which is OK as long as they supply evidence or a reason on which they came to the conclusion. This way other students can chime in with their findings and the entire class can benefit from a sort of large gathering of data. This helps with problem solving and critical thinking skills.

Dawn,

The rubric helps both the student and the instructors. Evaluation does become more objective and the students can clearly understand what is expected of them.

I agree. The point of the rubric is to take that subjective side out of it. Students opinions will always come up. In worse case scenarios, I like to show them a good example and a bad example from other students with no name and some things changed and ask how they would grade them according to the rubric.

Once they have done these, I point out the same errors in theirs and usually they understand. You are right, it certainly does assist in the critical thinking department.

Alice,

Yes, you get it. The rubrics are not just to help the instructor, but to guide and help the students build upon what they have learned. Nice job.

Dawn I agree with you if the student provides enough information to support the comments I feel they will meet the criteria..I also think it depends on the subject matter

Bernadette,

Me too. Students, content and the instructor are all key components.

Thanks!

I think being more specific in the rubric will alleviate subjective concerns from students. An example could be "included 5 layers in the project", which leaves no room for interpretation.

Christin,

Yes, the criteria are the key. They have to be specific, but not to leading for the students. Thank you.

@letricemitchell

Great discussion. I introduce the rubrics to students at the beginning of the course. There are times where I will continue to refer students back to the rubrics when providing grades. Students are also encouraged to ask questions and I assist the best way that I can. I do not, change scores, but rather give tips and suggestions to the students on how to best improve their work. Thanks

Content of the project and its presentation should be subject to specific objectives.  Even  the "soft skills" can be evaluated, such as, eye contact or posture.  

Sign In to comment