Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Encouraging Participation in Discussions

Everyone wants to be heard. Providing feedback on posts encourages participation in discussion forums and lets the students know their instructor cares about what they post. What are other ways to encourage participation in discussion forums?

Facebook

Facebook is a great social media tool that can be used to communicate with fellow students regarding questions or networking purposes. It is believed there are more pros than cons. What are the pros and cons?

Why Rubrics?

Rubrics are performance-based authentic assessments that evaluate student performance on any given task or set of tasks that ultimately leads to a learning outcome. Rubrics use specific criteria as a basis for evaluating or assessing student performances as indicated in narrative descriptions that are separated into levels of possible performance related to a given task. A rubric is a working guide for students and teacher, normally handed out before the assignment begins. A rubric enhances the quality of direct instruction. Dr. Marcia L. Brown, PMP

Communicate Effectively

A key to good communication is effectively asking questions. The two types of questions are open-ended and closed-ended. It is preferred to ask open-ended questions because they stimulate discussion and thinking. It is important to use clear, concise questions and wait before answering your own question, to give the students a chance to come up with the answer themselves. When responding to answers, provide acknowledgement, paraphrase the response, and capture the essence of the answer. These simple rules will help immensely. Dr. Marcia L. Brown, PMP

Rubrics

Rubrics can be a bit cumbersome for a student to read. For an academic we are used to these sort of documents. I see students eyes glaze over in a face to face when I discuss the rubric. I think the language needs to be simple enough and succinct enough for everyone to understand. Any suggestions on modifying an original University Rubric while staying within the curriculum guidelines?

Overall Communication for Teachers

An instructor needs to communicate with students frequently, provide substantive feedback, and communicate well with technology. The instructor should be an active participant, bring their own experiences to the discussion, do not dominate a discussion, or let a few students dominate it, challenge students without silencing them, and paraphrase a message if it is not clear. At a minimum, the teacher should include instruction on netiquette. Netiquette, which is short for Internet etiquette, is most important. It involves civility or politeness, professionalism, courtesy, respect, consideration, and good manners. Netiquette includes rules for all aspects of the Internet, including the World… >>>

Following the Rubric

At times it is difficult to get student to follow the rubric. They often times debate the scores that were given and it can be challenging to explain to them why they received a certain score, since discussions are subjective, in most cases. How do you go about explaining to students why they received a low score, when posts are sometimes subjective? Mrs. Mitchell

Integrating Generations

Having the Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Millennials in one class can be a challenge. I have found that having each student to do introductions including what they think will be the most challenging for them in an online course. This initiates student's willingness to assist one another and it has worked quite well. What are other suggestions that may be able to help me? Thank you Letrice Mitchell

Rude students

I often times have those student who are quite demanding on day 1. It can be difficult to get them to conform to proper communication but after weeks of speaking with them, it may be a personal issue going on. But, there habits have ruffled the feathers of other students. How do anyone else, handle students when they begin a course with negative behavior? Letrice Mitchell

Successful e-mail messages

Successful e-mails begin with TO, FROM, SUBJECT, and DATE and they usually only cover one topic. They are written conversationally and concisely. Prior to sending the message, collect information, prepare an outline, and compose the first draft in a Word document. The subject line summarizes the central idea, the body explains and provides more information, and the closing includes action information with dates or deadlines, and a summary of the e-mail. If the e-mail is constructed correctly, then is will be a technology tool for effective communication. Dr. Marcia L. Brown, PMP

Student outreach

One thing I find very powerful is to send outreach notes each week after I do grades. While it takes a little longer ( but only 5-10 minutes per class) I sent out individual ones that address them by their first name Such as Dear Joe, ..... They seem to respond really well to this, if you take the time to respond to them by name they realize this is not just a form email (even if the body is) and you really do care. Many students respond positively to this small factor.

Apps and learning

Several online colleges are introducing new apps for their school. These can be neat in that you can check in on the go from a tablet or smart board. However I find when students use these apps their quality of discussion posts goes WAY down. All of a sudden you see grammar and spelling errors and text speak start to slip in. I try to make it clear that expectations are the same for writing level for apps or posts made from web browsers but they jump into this more informal frame of mind. Does anyone else see this happening?

Group projects

One of the hardest things I think to manage online is group projects. This is where students tend to get snarky or have an attitude if they feel they are doing more or people are not pulling their own weight. I usually have very few problems elsewhere on the discussions or within the class. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

Live binders

I teach math classes that involve many tutorial math videos. From showing how to solve equations to using excel the videos are a powerful way to reach students when you cannot be there yourself. However I find just hosting these on youtube means the students don't use them, they don't want to sort through dozens of videos. Instead I have been sorting them all using a live binder, this free Web site allows you to sort things into categories (for shorter classes I tend to do each week) and place just the videos there for that week, then they can… >>>

Technology and the Unskilled

What are Best Practices for enhancing the technical skills for those students who are not familiar with technology?

Icebreakers and Communication

Are there any icebreakers available to help bridge the communication gap between baby boomers and millenials?

Texting versus emailing

Is it appropriate for students to text the instructor? If so, what circumstances would a text be more appropriate than an email?

Online generation identification…

Since the University does not provide student ages, it’s difficult to identify student generation. I always include an introductions thread and sometimes students share some information that allows me to make a guess as to the age of the student. Also when reading students discussion participation and research papers I tend to get an idea as to the age of the student. This information becomes part of a spreadsheet that I create before the start of the course (i.e. student name, email, phone (if available), guessed age, level of course participation, comments (i.e. needs increasing discussion participation, always late with… >>>

Discussion participation level…

Once I make a commitment to facilitate online course, I am committed to 7-day course presence. I am an early person so my interaction is usually in the morning—I make sure to tell students. One way I interact with students is through the discussion threads. I usually take the initiative to start contributing to the discussions on Sundays (lessons starts on Mondays). I do not respond to each post students make, but rather every other post along with posting questions related course subject matter being discussed that week. Would be interested to know your approach to course discussions; what is… >>>

Use of telephone…

One of the quiz questions was to call students via telephone to introduce myself (instructor) and to provide a course overview to student. Does anyone do take this approach? I personally never thought to do so since I facilitate 3-4 courses per term thus usually have an average of 100+ students (this would be impractical…) What is your view?