Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Integrating Generations

Having the Baby Boomers, Generation X, and Millennials in one class can be a challenge. I have found that having each student to do introductions including what they think will be the most challenging for them in an online course. This initiates student's willingness to assist one another and it has worked quite well. What are other suggestions that may be able to help me?

Thank you

Letrice Mitchell

Letrice,

Challenging and rewarding. We do learn from each other. As I do the introductions, I have students list one strength they believe they have that will benefit others in the course. Some students then become "expert" in the class and help lots of other students and they are happy to help!

Letrice -
I agree that having this mix can be a challenge.
However, I have had success in getting them to help each other by offering an answer when the student does not seem to be "grasping" the idea.

Opening the class initially with introductions is a great way to get participation right at the beginning.

In other classes, I have had the students write a brief statement about what types of experience they have had in this area (if at all) and what their goals are for this particular class.

Julia Huston

Julia and Letrice,

We have so many challenges in teaching, but we have to turn them into opportunities. I think we can do that with generations.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Dr. Crews - I very much like this idea of listing strengths to benefit not just the student but the learning community. I also like the idea of asking and expecting students to band together and answer each other's questions as a learning community rather than just focusing on the instructor's guidance all the time. I think I can incorporate both these concepts into the "Individual Learning Contract" I have students fill out at the beginning of the semester. I can ask them about their strengths and weaknesses, make it more clear that I expect them to exist in a community, and detail ways they can assist other students. Thanks for the helpful ideas!

I have the students communicate in a forum discussion where they write a Bio about themselves, and read and respond to others. It creates friendships quickly and it also gives younger students a respect to older students when they read their stories.

Christin,

These bios help students get to know each other and develop that community of learners. Thanks.

Erin,

Good. Glad you have new things to think about as you make the learning contracts. We continue to develop our own community of learners right here in this discussion board. ;-)

Sign In to comment