Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rude students

I often times have those student who are quite demanding on day 1. It can be difficult to get them to conform to proper communication but after weeks of speaking with them, it may be a personal issue going on. But, there habits have ruffled the feathers of other students. How do anyone else, handle students when they begin a course with negative behavior?

Letrice Mitchell

Letrice,

I make it clear in my syllabus that negative behavior will not be tolerated and I give examples of postings that can be considered negative or intimidating. I delete such comments from the discussion board and do not give them participation points for these postings. That changes their attitude quickly.

My syllabus has pretty clear expectations of behavior. I also send a private email and I have been known to make a personal phone call. Sometimes the rudeness is from the loneliest of the students. They have other challenges going on, that I often only find with a phone call.

My school has a student assistance program for students like this. I can make a referral and I can follow up.

The ones who are just being plainly rude, get reported to the online director and proof of the attitude is sent and I let them decide if they should be dropped or put on probation. They have to know that people in authority make those decisions about their education. They have to be part of this process.

Tena,is it acceptable to delete comments which are negative, offensive or rude. I ask this because if it becomes a pattern in other courses, and the student needs to be addressed, shouldn't we keep have keep the paper trail?

Alice,

It is good that you communication the expectations in more than one way. Sounds like you have a system in place to handle disruptions. Thanks for sharing.

Tonia,

Ah - the paper trail. Yes, I delete the comments, but put it in an email to the students explaining why it is disruptive to the learning process and my paper trail is that email. I also post another remind that negative, offensive or rude comments will be deleted and individuals will be dealt with. Hope that helps.

I agree that establishing communication protocol will address potential negative online behavior. Consequences such as point deductions for those who attempt to continue with this pattern may also be effective.

Paula,

When we provide guidelines and have high expectations for our students, it helps them reach those expectations. We also need to model good communication and lead the way by example.

Thanks for your input!

I've found that sometimes (but not always!), such a student isn't even aware that their tone is coming off as rude. I've had cases where simply pointing this out to them in a tactful email can stop the behavior. I normally start there, and if necessary, use a more official approach and cite course policies for such behavior, etc. At the start of a course, I point out to students that the difficulty of determining tone is the cause of much online confrontation, so being clear, constructive and non-sarcastic is very important.

Rob,

Yes, it can be as simple as helping students see how they are coming across to others (reframing). Tone is a very difficult thing to think about and control in many situations, but we have to help students understand this concept. Nice job.

I agree that talking one one one with the disruptive/rude student is often the best solution. I find that trying to deal with the situation in front of the class can often inflame them more. Then there are the special cases where I've had a student that doesn't accept direct feedback at all. So then you have to get creative and address the situation in an indirect way with the whole class. This worked well recently for a student who had this very issue.

Jill,

Some times all it takes is some personal attention and a conversation. And, keep serving as a role model to your students in your conversations as well. Nice job.

This is a tough question I think. In today's world of electronic communication I don't think that students think that they are rude or accountable for their actions. So how do you hand a student with that starts the course in a negative manner you continue to remind them of the guidelines set at the start of the course. If that does not work then start giving them a grade that reflects that negative behavior. I have found that when you take a student with this type of attitude and hit them once with a failing grade during the course they do a complete 180 and fall into line. If that does not work then I would try to find out why they feel they should not comply with the guidelines.

Elie,

Right. Explaining the expectations and holding them to those high expectations is imperative. Thanks for your input.

Modeling the appropriate behavior is essential, and publically praising (via discussion boards, live chats, announcements, etc.) those students who are demonstrating politeness and effective communication is helpful in encouraging others to do the same.

If I have a particularly rude student, however, who has not adjusted his or her communication after my online communication attempts, I often ask the student if we can arrange a phone call. The student is usually less likely to demonstrate the same demanding or rude behavior exhibited online over the phone. This also provides an opportunity to synchronously and privately discuss communication expectations.

Regina,

Sounds like you have thought this through and you have a great system. Keep the communication going!

Thanks.

Wow, great question! I often wondered how to handle this same situation. Those students can take the passion right out the class. I like the tip on giving them examples of what we do not tolerate and not giving them credit if they break that rule. Thank you everyone for such great advice!!!

Emory,

Glad you have found this forum helpful. We continue to learn from each other - which is awesome. Thanks of your comment.

Letrice,

I do also call students out on inappropriate behavior and handle the issue. Sometimes it require a grade penalty or a written reprimand along with deleting the post. Maintaining the environment is a must to ensure things do not get out of hand and hamper the learning environment.

Monique

Monique,

We have to help students understand what is appropriate and what is in appropriate. We can't assume they know, we have to help. Thanks!

Sign In to comment