Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online generation identification…

Since the University does not provide student ages, it’s difficult to identify student generation. I always include an introductions thread and sometimes students share some information that allows me to make a guess as to the age of the student. Also when reading students discussion participation and research papers I tend to get an idea as to the age of the student. This information becomes part of a spreadsheet that I create before the start of the course (i.e. student name, email, phone (if available), guessed age, level of course participation, comments (i.e. needs increasing discussion participation, always late with assignments, Turnitin high scores, will be late with assignments, etc…)

How to you manage your communication tone (identify student age) when you have 100+ students per semester? What is your approach?

Rolando,

You are using the resources you have and seem to be connecting with students. Keep up the good work.

I also try to look for clues to the generational identification of students in the online classroom. Students many times informally share information that helps to identify which of the generations they may belong to, but I also try not to stereotype students based on which generation they belong. There are, for example, many Bay Boomer students who have embraced online technology and therefore go counter to the assumption that they have strong social skills, but may lack technology skills.

Frank Nolan

Fortunately, I do not have 100 students per class.
Usually, I have 35 students in a class. I encourage them to submit a short biography which in many cases indicates their age range.

Frank,

Those key clues are very helpful. It is important not to stereotype and accept students fornwhonthey are, but have the same expectations for all students. Thank you.

Alan,

Thirty-five is still a large number of online students. Although time consuming, it is good to review each bio to get to know your students. Thanks for your input.

Rolando,

It is important to know as much as possible about students in an environment that does not give the benefits of body language and other face-to-face tools. This helps when presenting course curriculum and knowing at times how to tailor the presentation to the range of students in the classroom.

Amos and Rolanda,

Getting to know our students and where "they are coming from" is key to helping them excel in the learning environment. Thanks for your input in thsi forum.

Rolando, I do some of same things you do: I set up a discussion where students can introduce themselves to the class. In the discussion, I ask them to provide us with information on their hobbies, career plans/majors, and any other information they want to share. Usually, those who have been out of school for a number years will say so in this introduction. Also, throughout my live chat sessions, I make references to my age and what things were like when I graduated way back when. Students enjoy this; it makes them feel at ease! :-)

Willie and Rolando,

It's good to see that others are doing the same thing we are. We don't have to work in a vacuum, but learn from others and understand that what we are doing is working. Keep it up!

Sign In to comment