Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Section 504

As an online instructor how would you assess if the rights of a student with disabilities were being violated?

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

As an online instructor, how would you assist students with disabilities to make the transition to post-secondary education?

Course Accessibility

As an online instructor, what are some best practices you have developed to ensure your course is accessible to all students?

Cognitive Disabilities

As an online instructor, what would you do to assist students with cognitive disabilities?

Visual Impairments

As an online instructor, what assignments might you avoid if you have students with visual impairments?

Assistive Technologies

As an online instructor, what assistive technologies do you have available to assist students with disabilities?

Blogs

Do instructors still blog? It seems like FB and Twitter would make more sense today. Thoughts?

Students' Preparedness Level

Blogging is OK if used with students who can effectively read and write in English. Many of my students come from a diverse background. For some, English is their second language, while others lack academic preparedness and possess very basic levels of communication skills. These students may not be able to effectively blog.

Monitoring the Quality of Posts

Microblogging is a time consuming venture for the professors as close monitoring of the quality and accuracy of the posts is required. For example in science course, the information has to be correct. Thus, the instructor must carefully monitor the microblog for accuracy and make corrections as necessary.

How to determine quality sources?

How does the instructor monitor quality sources. Too many social media sites exist in order for the instructor to monitor each one. What are some mechanisms for monitoring the quality and reliability of a site?

How much reading and writing skill should the students have?

Should the student have a certain amount of reading and writing skills before the online class begins? Should the instructor from any background teach a student reading and writing skills, on top of course material? Please share your thoughts with me on this?

Pithy versus Personal

Hi, When I am interacting with students in a discussion forum or posting my evaluative comments in their gradebook I work very hard to give them individualized feedback and to extend their learning. My quandry is that I tend to be more expansive when concentrating on making connections and yet I also want very much to convey a few key points that are not lost in a lengthier discourse. I am still working on creating that fine line between personalized and thoughtful content and ensuring that the recipient will take away my key ideas and suggestions. Do any of you… >>>

Motivation vs Pushing...

In our current educational environment, I have come to notice more policies that push the students through school as opposed to motivating them. How can you motivate the student, without feeling like you are pushing them through? If the students are not enganged with many different efforts and avenues utilized, what is the next step? Thank you for your thoughts and responses.

Handling the frustrated online student

I've found (and I'm sure you can relate to this) that with the online instruction mode the mix of student demographics creates a problem when presenting materials and discussion. My "solution" is to break the online "chat" demonstration/lecture into "chunks" (segments), where I will cater to each age group so that it keeps them from becoming easily bored. I also host a weekly "workshop" where students can attend if they have any specific issues that need handling, and in each case I can then gear the discussion to the appropriate level. This seems to work well, although certainly not perfect,… >>>

Discussion Rubrics can sometimes be woefully vague!

I have found that the discussion rubrics in the canned portion of our course can be a bit too vague for fine grading. I have added some rules of my own to the syllabus...for example...one rubric we use states, "original post that answers the question and submitted by Wednesday" 20 points. "two original posts in response to your fellow students that are more in content than 'I agree', 'You are right', etc." 2.5 points a piece. Not quite a clear and concise explanation. SO I add in the syllabus that proper grammar is required. Also, if it is a science… >>>

Examples from my career to open discussions!!

I give the good and bad...I have found sometimes that the bad gets them talking...whether it is showing them that they don't have to be perfect or what, I know it works. I will give them what happened, how I handled it and ask them how they would have handled it. This really gets them involved, and honestly, they are thinking through the answers, because if they post before they have thought them through, the other students point out the loopholes... I think these are sometimes the liveliest and sometimes the funniest discussions!

Civility and the Online Environment....

I believe civility is important. When you have laid it out in your syllabus, sent out an email with Course Policies and Procedures, reminded them in their Tips for Success each week, what else can you do? You can set an example, even for the angriest student, by keeping your cool and replying in a slow and steady voice...you are setting an example for the netiquette and civility you expect. I believe that the instructor often sets the tone for the class. What kind of tone are you setting for yours?

Skype is a WONDERFUL tool

I have used SKYPE in my on ground classes to talk to friends I have in Australia and the United Kingdom. They had discussions with my students about the socialized medicine challenges and what they thought American medicine was like. I found this to be a terrific tool for further discussion. I realize that for Skype conferencing money is needed. But for individual tutoring and problem solving I love it!! Has anyone else used it with success stories?

Rubrics

Rubrics or an assessment tool is designed to evaluate student participation in an on-line environment. As we all know, rubrics pros, what are the cons when using rubrics? How can these rubrics be more student friendly?

Encouraging Students to Effectively Communicate

Students come from different backgrounds and specific needs are on a case-per-case basis. Investigating what works with each student will encourage effective communication needs are being met. What is another way to encourage effective communication?