Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Vacation

I loved this...something that will definitely make an impact, and that I need to remember as well.

I'm glad this is one you like, Heather!

I liked it as well. I am always reminding my patient care students how important it is to pay attention to all aspects of the patient and to look for any changes that may occur with speech, skin color, ETC.

The ability to assess using all the senses is an important skill for students.

I like all these topics, I can utilize many of these in the clinical setting especially the first week of orientation. Thanks for all the ideas.

Glad you can use these in orientation!

I am still new at teaching and sometimes take for granted that everyone thinks like me. I have to remember that I am the only one in clinic who has any nursing experience so the vacation exercise will be a great resource to help reinforce the importance of observation. Many times in nursing you are doing more than two things at a time in the patient's room and my students tend to focus on only the single task at hand and forget to observe the entire surroundings. I am going to use this tomorrow at my clinical rotation. Thanks

Kev, I know you will have success with this teaching strategy.

Enjoyed all the topics. Believe just about all can be applied to classes.

This is a great tool.....especially since many clinets will often not tell you everything, it is good to be aware of their body language and other non-verbal ques.

Yes, Toni, it gets to the point without learners focusing on it until it is over.

Using the vacation method gets the student interested in a topic that is not only familiar to them in addition to one topic that they are comfortable with; not even realizing that they are observing others at the same time. This is a good idea. I will definitely use this method because it gets everybody involved while getting to know each other. This is also good for team building.

Jill, it is a two for one activity. Learning and team building can occur simultaneously.

I love this idea, it really stresses the powers of observation. I can never can stress enough the importance of looking at the patient!

I definitely agree with using a topic that is very fun to the students and turning it into a learning experience. We all want to think that we are great listeners, however, there is so much more to listening. It's so easy to get distracted by the environment, contents, and our own voices. Being able to observe with all senses is such an essential skill for students to learn as they are beginning to see, feel, hear, touch, and smell as a clinician. I will look into incorporating this activity into students learning.

Lisa, the sooner you use this activity, the sooner you will see positive results.

Michele Deck

I liked this activity, too. I plan on using it in my next class. I think it will be an excellent way to get the students started in the right direction when dealing with patients.

Sabine, teaching the students how to deal with real students is the ultimate goal.

Michele Deck

I have also done a variation of this activity. It helps break the ice because in my classroom I have an influx of new students mixing with old students every 28 days. Observational skills are harder for this generation that uses texting, email etc. We need to teach them to observe when they are communicating.

Dale, I agree there are a variety of observational skills in a class.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment