Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Reinforcing the lecture

I find the opportunity to reinforce the lecture material with actual tangible findings cements the theory to the activity in the student's mind. After an active lab session, I have an A.A.R. - an After Action Review . What did we see in and did it in fact agree with the lecture material and with "real-world" issues.

Explian Respect to students

I find it helpful to let the students know that respect is not something that is just given that it is something that is earned meaning that your must be respectful in order to be respected.

Dealing with challanging students

I find it works many times to have a private discussion with a student to make them aware that you are unhappy with the distracting behavior alot of time they might not even have known that there behavior was being distracting to both you and your class and they stop.

Making priority lists

Just wondering what method others use for the actual priority lists. I like to use post-its of differing sizes. These are normally located beside my computer.the only draw back to this is it can seem cluttered at times! let me know your methods...thanks

What about investment to improve time management?

While prioritizing is essential with time management, it still takes a personal investment and interest to truly succeed with whatever the task is at hand. I must say, I am a masterful list maker; lists keep me sane and on track. I know how to prioritize and what goals are urgent; however, unless I truly believe in what I need to accomplish, even though it may be important and pressing, I do not come away with a sense of pride or satisfaction. It is for this reason that I am able to make lists and prioritize, accomplish the tasks, yet… >>>

Career School Stress

I see many of the participants in this course are dealing with students that think they are buying their degree; a common issue for career schools. Many career school students cannot get accepted in a traditional college. Consequently, if they want to get a degree and or further their education they seek out career schools. I concentrate on the fact that at least they took a step to change their life. There are some students that think they just need to pay the bill to get their degree; however, I find that most do try to get the work done.… >>>

Plagiarism

Our school has a student judiciary council that mandates the first plagiarism offense gets you a zero on the assignment. The second is a zero for the class... the third you're out of the program! It's quite severe.

The Procrastinators

We all have students that want two weeks to attempt their project but then either wait till day 13 to start of miss entirely. I commonly will not assign a project in total with one due date but rather break it up into smaller pieces with a succession of due dates. A little done here and a little done there can lead to the entire project 's completion before they know what hit 'em. It is also easier to stay on top of those that need closer attention this way. I know if they are making an honest attempt or… >>>

not learning student names

I think it is important to learn student names.

instructional behavior of a class

i feel you must look at class as a whole,and then set up your educational setting and physical setting to match the abilities of the class and be able to get the information of the class subject matter across to them.

First day

You have the perfect opportunity to set the class right where you want them. Tell them your goals for them in the course, set ground rules for them, let them know what is expected of them during their stay in your course, be friendly not friends, and if you say something they should not do, tell them what concquences they might have to bear.

I have found that by listening and talking to students camly even under heated situations they usually understand there fault and realize you are not trying to single them out, but you are serious about maintaining order in your class.

Create an Instructor Image

When beginning to teach, it is vitaly important to develop an image as the instructor. At first, I believe, it can be as simple as respectful. Fairness may take several classes to define. Also, I believe the image should be tweaked occasionally, nothing major, just small minor adjustments because class dynamics change by virtue of us aging and the students getting younger! The core image, respect, fairness, etc. should not change.

Taking Control of Your Time

Taking Control of Your Time It is very helpful to create a “To Do” list. Once you have created the list and prioritize the items, I find it v very helpful to include “Me Time.” Me time will be something that I want to do to relax or exercise to help relieve some of the stress in my day.

Identifying the problem

You may be the problem, being humble enough to relize you're the problem is a big advantage to keeping the classroom moving along

angry instructors

Certain instructors have mural issues and can easily drag others into their half empty mentality. I found the best way to deal with this is too surround yourself with a positive influences not a negitive ones.

sharing your productivity with others

I find that sharing my to do list with my maniger gives me a sence of confidence when it is completed and lets him know that I am using my time wisely.

Including student interests

I fing that including student interests to tweek the lesson can really help to keep interest in the lesson plan.

new instructor mistakes

Most new instructor's mistakes can be minimized with good pretraining. this should include teaching infront of a class. the newbe should do just a small lesson at first. This will allow him to become conforable in front of a class. Good supervision during his/her training will benifit the instructor and his students.

cheatiing students

one of the ways I approach the problem is to use multiple tests foe the same test. Using an "A", "B", "C" TEST with the exact same questions on the test is fair to the students. They all answer the same questions just in different order. Any cheaters will only effect their score.