Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Real World Example

Several students are currently working in the fields I am teaching which also include my experience. We often discuss what is going on in their company and competing companies from their job level and then from the perspective of the business community, for example a recent quarterly report of their publicly owned company.

Hi Louis:
Super! I think it's a benefit to the whole class and learning environment when real world examples can be introduced into the discussion. Everyone benefits.

Regards, Barry

I like that idea. I often have students who are working in a shop while attending school. I am going to try asking them "What did you do at work today?"

Hi Craig:
Real world - that's where it's all leading. These expereinces also help the student visulize themselves actually performing the work they're being trained for. I think it helps keep their interest, too.

Regards, Barry

I do the same thing in my class. If i have a student working in the feild I will ask them what they did at work and if it had something to do with the class lesson I would thy to get the hole class in on it.

Hi Donald:
Real world examples can be invaluable learning tools. Students may be able to visualize themselves as workers (vs students), and the experienced student may feel they are contributing to the class instruction. Good deal all the way around!

Regards, Barry

Absolutely!!!! Real world experiences helps the student understand why certain things occur in the work place.

Hi Elizabeth:
And the student may get motivated and enthused about their career choice.

Regards, Barry

I give real worl scenerios everyday to my class. When I have graduates come by I have them talk about school and the real world. I find any experience is good for the students.

Hi Kristina:
Real world is very cool. Students like to hear and see people from the profession they're being trained for.

Regards, Barry

I love when I have students who work in the industry. It really provides an oppertunity to show their peers how they have taken the lessons learned in school and applied them to real life situations. Since I teach in a culinary school this is ofter apparent in the simplist of ways...how a student sets up their work area, or deal with cleaning as the cook.

Hi Christine:
Bringing experienced individuals into contact with your students either as guests or in the field can only brighten and enlighten. Go for it!

Regards, Barry

Incorporating real-world examples and situations into coursework has been very beneficial in my own experience. Students often see immediate return on their educational investment.

"Learn it today, use it tomorrow," is something a former professor of mine used to say. For adult learners, it is a gratifying experience.

Regards,
Christopher

My students like to hear about my experiences and they come back from extern or working in the field to tell me their experience. I often ask them to share with the class about what they have learned out in the real world.

Hi Jessica:
I know your student's classmates enjoy bhearing about stories their peers have experienced as it probably puts them in those scenarios and allows them to imagine how they might act under similar circumstances.

Regards, Barry

Giving students more real world examples will not only enhance their learning but will make them more applicable in class, as well as in the workplace if they are in the field. I use a lot of examples in my Food Safety & Sanitation class on situations that have occurred in my personal experiences. It makes them understand the importance of the subject and that it "really does happen" out there.

Hi Anthony:
I think stories and pictures, although simple in and of themselves, can be a powerful learning tool. What a student imagines can be creative, motivational, instructional, and assistive in understanding a point or fact that is best illustrated by example, photo, or story. When it relates to their chosen career field, students often feel better about their choice and some may be driven to try harder to be sussessful.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment