Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Organized and prepared to teach

Why is it important for an instructor to organized and prepared for each class?

Organized and prepared to teach

Why is it important for an instructor to organized and prepared for each class?

Making field trips and guest speakers a part of instruction

What are the benefits students get from taking field trips and listening to guest speakers?

What are the benefits students get from taking field trips and listening to guest speakers?

Using a teaching journal

How can keeping a teaching journal help you with instructional improvement?

Using a teaching journal

How can keeping a teaching journal help you with instructional improvement?

Being a student-centered instructor

How will being a student-centered instructor help you to have success in teaching?

Being a student-centered instructor

How will being a student-centered instructor help you to have success in teaching?

Understanding yourself as an instructor

Why is it important for you to have an understanding of yourself as an instructional leader?

Understanding yourself as an instructor

Why is it important for you to have an understanding of yourself as an instructional leader?

Developing An Evaluation System

Enshuring that the material (I.e. homework, labs) properly evaluate the student enough so that the class work grades properly reflect the test grades.

Methods to develop backup plans

We will run a bulb preservation day where instructors are encouraged to turn off the projector and use the printed material and the boards to run the class. This is good practice for the day the bulb burns out or the cumputers crash, the instructors know the material is all about getting them to pass this knowledge on.

Selecting media for your classes

The first reason for most would be convience, but a close secone would have to be what method intrest the instructor. If we can not become intrested in the delivery method then how can we expect the student to stay interested.

Preparing to Manage Your Class

Untill I read the diffrent types of instructors I had not realy thought of what kind of instructor I was. Untill then I didnt realize that I was in fact the Peacemaker. Now having an understanding of this I have somthing to base my streangths and weeknesses off of. I you dont have that understanding then how are you ever going to be able to corectly build up your weeknesses?

quizzes vs final exam

I just completed a class where the quizzes were in short answer format and the final exam was in multiple choice. The students were accustomed to receiving partial credit on the quizzes and when the multiple choice final came around, the students were in an uproar. They disputed several questions in an attempt to get partial credit to receive a better score. They really didn't like the multiple choice format and blamed me for their poor performance. What are your reccomendations?

workshop hours

A collegue of mine suggested that I offer workshop hours, just a few a session. So, I've decided to try this, scheduled for tomorrow (in culinary), for students to make the recipes they do not feel they have grasped. I was surprised about the number of students who plan to attend, which tells me that I might be stuffing to much material in the lesson plan each day.

ppts

I overheard some students the other day complaining that their teacher did not use ppts at all and that they "had to take notes the old fashioned way." The students were upset that they couldn't just print out the ppts and have instant notes. The younger generation of students, it seems, has come to expect this type of media in classes. It's a balance between satisfying their preferred media for learning and changing things up a bit by using white board, demos, etc. It's challenging to satisfy all the students in class with their preferred delivery of media, especially when… >>>

"Clean" Structure...

Adult students need stability, structure and a "clean" learning environment. I do not refer to "clean" as necessarily a lack of dirt or mess in the physical classroom, what I mean is that they need everything they do during that class time to be crisp and consistent. Adult students appreciate the instructor if they do not waste time, breaks are held consistently and learning takes place. The best instructors are the most organized and the most detailed about how each day is broken down for the students, especially in longer classes. I have found over the years that you will… >>>

Assesments

Making sure that the assignments reach a broad crowd of students. And that the wheights of the grades are in the right areas for the educational outcome.