Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Doing the Right Thing | Origin: CM102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Raising the Bar - Compliant Communications with Students --> Doing the Right Thing

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

There are many legal aspects when working with Post Secondary School.  I learned that following all rules and compliance standards are very important when it comes to our students and keeping our school operable.  No matter how much information you are familiar with in your position do not give out misleading inforomation to anyone.  If you don't know ask so that the corrected information can be given.  Keeping up with dates that may change multiples such as Title IV participating institutions is important and must demostrate compliance with the U.S. Department of Education regulations. There is a lot more to learn and comprehend. 

Thank you 

Doris Owens  

There was alot of important information in this segment!  It is important to be honest and uphold federal and state standards by not misrepresenting an institution to others, including prospective students, faculty, and staff.  There are fines associated with misrepresentation.  Misrepresentation can be done in person, through email, through telephone calls, etc.  If a student requests not be be called or to receive emails, it is important to follow their wishes.

My understanding from this section is to follow all rules and compliance standards set by the instituion especially when it comes to students and keeping the institution open. Staying honest and not lying or embellishing information is vital to the success of a college/university.

I really enjoyed this segment. I learned alot about coursework eligability, and how credit hours are used inregard to funding. I also waseducated on the aspects and resolutions of the Do Not Call rules. Integity and being transparent are very important in dealing witheveryone.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) opened the National Do Not Call (DNC) have implemented that after a person has registered for services, they must stop communication attempts after 31 days. This information was relevant to me, as a student and alumni, because students get thousands of advertisement calls, and are unaware of how they can prevent the calls. Being bombarded by these calls also make it difficult to realize legit calls from scams, and can possibly get emotionally draining. I would definitely utilize this service for myself and inform my students of this tip.

It is very important to follow all the rules and regulations when working with students in the Post Secondary School.  Alignment of duties within compliant standards can benefit all by ensuring stability and longevity of the school and student eligibility to participate in federal funding programs.

There was a great deal of information in this section. Among all it is imperative to be transparent and within compliant for the success of the students, as well a the college. I found it very informative to learn about funding per credit hours. I also leanred about contacting someone that is on the DNC registry. 

I appreciate this section as it aligns with my own ethics around honesty. I like the examples given of an honest and misleading statement to potential students. I personally was reminded to be careful with my words and how I can still guide a student with optimism and realistic expectations. I plan to continue to learn all of the true information about where I work so that my words always align with honesty.

I found it interesting that the gainful employee regulations have been overturned and expire July 1 2020. It will be interesting to see if schools continue to update this information or not. 

Honesty and staying informed is required to maintain a healthy work environment.  One must protect, themselves, the company, and its stakeholders.

I enjoyed going through the material on this course on the second read.  I appreciate the context and background given to the amended regulations.  I find this brings understanding.  I will find this information useful and will put it to use in my job.

Lots to be learned here and it's always important to take stock of the ways in which schools present themselves to their applicants, students and graduates. It is imperative that we present our information and advertising in ways that are not misleading or dishonest. Prospective students should be aware of the nuances of each schools criteria and expectations and these should be clearly communicated by the institution at every step of the process. 

Thus far in this couse I have learned the imporance of not misrepresenting the campus. Whenever speaking to a prospective student you have to chose your worde wisley or it can lead to major issues down the line. I will definitly be mindful of what I sa to a student. 

Every school must abide by the most up-to-date regulations as it relates to potential students. The goal is to ensure both the school is in compliance and the potential candidate is given accurate information to determine when and where to enroll. The relationship between a prospective student from the initial contact and the enrollment process is critical to the success of both the institution and the potential candidate.

This is an important section for all instiutions. Schools must follow rules and regulations properly and make sure tuey also trainall their employees especially commission-based admission advisors should be tranied more often than other salary or hourly pay employees so that they don't violate any alws and put the institution on jeapardy in any manner. Taking all rules, laws, and regulations seriously is beneficial for eveyone in the institution and it is a responsibility for everyone. Being honest and straight forward with it's clients and students (both current and prospective) a always a best policy to follow for the institution. 

Reply to Hong Chen's post: I totally agree with you Hong and to expand my thoughts, there should also be a consistency in standard when it comes to maintaining proper compliance with laws and regulations.

So far this has been important information to follow as it pertains to the rules and regulations for compliance.  It was interesting to see how Title IV has changed and to learn the requirements students need for eligibility.  Knowing there could be a Mystery Shopper was interesting, but makes sense.  I was surprised to learn of the 42K plus penality fine for the DNC registry.  Makes one wonder why anyone would not comply.  Another surprise was that the CAN-SPAM act does not cover bulk email.  I found this Module to be very informative.

There are many rules and regulation to protection and individual from a legal aspect when working with post secondary school.   If you ask a question incorrectly can result in penalty of around  $40,000.  Must learn what to ask when calling an individual and demonstrate compliand with the U.S. Department of education.  Hope to continue to learn about update on laws, rules and regulations.

I didn't realize the highest penalty fee for disobeying do not call lists and transparency when contacting via email. Following these rules and regulations are a must for an institution. 

Sign In to comment