Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There definitely are a lot of rules and regulations that are detailed to protect the school and employees while being honest and truthful when communicating with potential students as well as enrolled students. In these conversations, whether face to face, email or phone calls, need to be carefully worded to provide accurate and transparent information. The defined penalties help to see the variations that are included under these laws.  Nicely presented for clear understanding.

It is important to understand the laws and regulatory guidelines for compliance and governing. I was aware of the DNC registry, but not the time frames in which you can or cannot call an individuals. Nor was I aware of the fines that can be placed against a non-compliant company.

I also learned if a debt is owed, when it is OK to contact a person and the rules that apply.

This has been very informative and I learned a lot about being transparent and the importance of honesty and integrity. I also did not realize the results and penalties for noncompliance which is very good to know.  

I learned that there are many rules that we need to make sure that we follow as a school. One that stood out to me was that we need to make sure that we are not lying or misleading them. We need to make sure that we uphold the Federal and State standards. All states vary in the regulations, so we need to know that we know what ones are for our state. I liked that they had the Do's and Don'ts list. That helped me a lot. I was also very interested in do not call list. I did not realize that the fees were so much higher for violating the list. 

It is always a best practice to do what is right for the student and the college. Do not mislead the student or try to manipulate the scenario. Compliance is what protects the school so understanding it as faculty and staff is a vital part of our job. 

It's refreshing to see how candid the company is about rules and regulations.  Doing the right thing is a big must! Making sure that everyone understands that even withholding information can lead to consequences.  

Honesty is the best policy. All institutions should follow the most current regulations. We want to make sure the school is in compliance. We want to support every student and stay in compliance by helping the student themselves decide when it the best time to enroll for schooling and support them along the way. I learned about do no contact rules. We want to make sure we provide true information and when we do not know the answer, to never guess. Always tell the student we will find the right information/answer for them.

There are significant repercussions for misrepresenting an institution and its intentions. Simply answering a student's question could potentially be misleading. For example, stating that a certain institution has the best facilities is too specific in stating that it is the best. This leads the student to believe they will not find any other suitable institution.

There is value in being honest and upfront with students. The return on providing accurate information is greater than presenting a better picture around false promise. This section of the course taught me the potential penalties when laws, rules, and regulations are not obeyed. 

Highly informative information. Really breaks down to a tea the Do's and Dont's. The penalties associated with it can be very detrimental to any institution that violates 

The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls. If a third-party telemarketer calls again, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $50,120.

It is a great review of what we should and should not do when interacting with students. It is a great reminder of how important it is to follow the rules to avoid penalties and do the right thing for our students. 

Just do the right thing! Make good choices.

This topic/learning module helped reinforce the importance of the kind of honesty, transparency, and respect we owe our students as a post-secondary educational institution. I learned about how compliance with school policy, as well as federal and state laws, is essential for the continued success of the programs and school as a whole, and how vital it is to have the correct information when responding to student questions and concerns. This will make me ensure that I am always checking with others in my organization if I am ever unsure how to address any situations that arise with students, especially anything relating to how we communicate institutional standards to the students and reinforce them in our peer interactions with other faculty and staff.

I never fully understood all the legal parts that I institute must follow. It is also very important to not cause any misunderstanding of school policies. 

I have learned to respect state and federal regulations when contacting potential students regarding their enrollment at your institution. Make sure to have a good understanding of the "Do's and Don'ts" in higher education. 

I was able to learn about all of the different laws under Title IV that I have not previously thought about. This information will be extremely useful in my position. 

Non-compliance not only is acting in a way that is unethical and can lead to negative ramifications for the employee, but is a massive reputational risk for the institution as a whole. It always pays off to do the right thing, even when no one is looking. Regulations are designed to keep things fair for everyone!

My main takeaway is this. I like to get excited about the courses and school. However, no matter how much I want to brag about the school or talk about how great it is, you must remember to not make statements that are not provable by fact. For instance, I cannot say "We have the greatest program in the world." unless there is a certificate of proof.

Saying informed is required to maintain a healthy work environment, and learning the most up-to-date ways around ethics will help us do so.

Sign In to comment