Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Accomodating a Learning Disability

My student had a learning disability. Functionally, she had difficulty in choosing words to speak and difficulty correctly spelling the term. She knew the term. During office hours, I spent time with her to review the concepts/definition and place them on flash cards. I identified early that Repetitiveness was key to her exam success. I also noted on the first exam that she was spelling words the way she spoke them. I changed the format of the exam to Multiple Choice for all students, without changing the integrity of the test. After taking this course, I am curious if I… >>>

My Role as Instructor

As the instructor, my students share very personal issues with me. Many of the information shared is directly involved with their disability. Most of these students want to be treated like everyone else is treated. Narcolepsy was experienced by one of my Math students. She was a very bright student, but was heavily medicated to keep her awake. The medicine corrected the issue of falling asleep randomly. However, the opposite effect of the medication was making her very agitated and nervous during class. She cannot not take the message. As an instructor, what is the best advice to give this… >>>

cm 101 Internal Audits

Hi, I just finished the CM101 course on creating and conducting internal audits. I'm really very happy with such concrete instruction on how to do something that sounds so completely foreign and potentially nerve wracking. I'm quite looking forward to putting the tools I've learned about into place and I really appreciate such a concise class and materials. Thanks!

Accomodation for ADA : How does Instructor Know?

In both situations with two students with the need for accomodation, I was not aware that disabilities existed. The first few weeks of school they communicated their situation to me. Currently,our school does not have a Disability Services Office. On the first day of class, I also ask the student to let me know if they have any special circumstances that they would like to share with me privately. I try to make the invitation very generic, including transportation issues etc, as not to embarrass the student. Unfortunately, the students with disabilities assumes they will be treated differently by professor… >>>

Physical Limitations

I recently had a student who was in a wheelchair taking my College Math course. As part of class, students are assigned questions and demonstrate answers on the board. I realized that John Doe was not participating as actively in the exercise. He was a very bright student that was an asset to the class. I talked to him privately to see how I could boost his confidence in coming to the board. He simply replied that he was only able to reach a very small part of the white board. From that point on, I verified that John Doe… >>>

Importance of recognizing LD's early in student's academic career

As a child and again as a college student I continually had difficulty with math. The difficulties severely limited my direction in my education. My difficulties were also often written off as a lack of ability or a lack of effort. With the knowledge that came later in my life that I have dyscalculia, I realize that that was the root cause of my troubles with math. Had this learning disability been recognized for what it was earlier in my academic career, my path may have been different.

Does the timeliness of the disclosure matter?

I have a student who went into a business orientated program where computer use was a large part of the cirriculum. The student is now entering her last term and nearing graduation. She never disclosed that she would require any accomodations at any point along the way. One of the exit requirements is a typing certificate at a particular speed. She has been unable to meet that speed and going into her last term she is now trying to get it waived. She was able to complete all her classes successfully up until this point. Her intended line of work… >>>

Helping Students Find There Career Path

As an incoming admission representative, I am excited to begin meeting with potential students to help them begin on a career path that will set up a foundation for their rest of the lives. It is very important to understand what the student is interested in and how those skills can be translated into a career path. It is our job to guide the student into the program that fits their skill and personality set so they can parlay those skills into a successdul career!

ADD/ADHD

This course is causing me to reflect on my learning experiences through out my educational career. I have always loved history, english and social sciences but have a hard time with math and science. During tests, I would do well and get the answers correct but towards the end of the exam, I would get tired and distracted with the process and "throw away" the test buy just answering what i thought was the best choice. Going back over the test, I knew most of the answers but was ready to finish the test. I think it is possible that… >>>

The Changing of America

The Civil Rights Acts of the 1960's has really shaped American for the better. In the past people with phyisical or mental handicaps were exlcuded from society as a whole and even locked away in institutions because society did not know how to accomdiate these people.Today it is common place to see wheelchair access, rails on stairwells and hanicap parking. Some years ago, this was not the case. What are some other changes you have seen in the past few decades to make sure all American citizens are given a chance to make a living and be a productive member… >>>

Financial aid available to students with a disability

Even though an individual may not be able to accomadate a specific program, why are they eligible for financial aid?

Wheelchair access

Should schools be alloted funds for wheelchair access?

Disabled students

When students are disabled should they receive special treatment?

ADA

Institution Management must ensure that there is available and adequate faculty for reasonable accommodations.

Training

The training was very helpful. There are many new rules and regulations that were covered in the modules. It will be great to have a refresher course once a year to make sure regulations are still the same.

Transparency

It is important that we pursue transparency and maintain high standards in our schools. Give an example of how your school has followed this and what the outcome has been.

online training

This was my first online training via MaxWeb. I found it to be bery beneficial.

FERPA

For the students that are interested, we have FERPA Release Forms they can sign. If someone calls claiming to be a student requesting any information we have them give us certain details such as DOB, SS#, Graduation Date, etc. before giving details. Are there additional quidelines we should follow for over the phone requests?

Unacceptable Proof of Graduation

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists Schools and their locations which have been deemed UNACCEPTABLE for "Proof of High School Graduation"? I've been told there are websites where you can purchase High School Diplomas.

CM202

I had just completed the CM202 modules. Very informative, especially for a first time in a career college. There were many new rules and regulations for me, and keeping the Notebook is a great idea for a refresher.