Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Financial aid available to students with a disability

Even though an individual may not be able to accomadate a specific program, why are they eligible for financial aid?

Camille,
I am confused by the way you use "accommodate" in that sentence, Camille. It appears that you are suggesting that if YOU don't believe they can be successful in the program, they shouldn't be allowed to pursue the program and their shouldn't be granted financial aid to take the classes. My question would be how you know that ANY student entering the program is going to be successful. Unless you are suggesting that we provide financial aid only AFTER students have somehow proved their worthiness, what you suggest here is discriminatory.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I understand that success is not guaranteed with any student, however, there are certain physical requirements that are integral to certain professions. For instance, the physical abilities that may be required to be a firefighter would seem to prevent a paraplegic from performing the required actions. The requirements of a cosmetologist to be able to see and recognize color would also seem to be a necessary ability that would appear to prevent a blind person from learning a required skill for the profession. Can these requirements be addressed during the admissions process or must the student be allowed to enter the program and their inability to perform the required functions of the profession be viewed in a learning environment prior to the admission being questioned?

Mary,
The development of clearly stated technical standards for completion of the program, available to all students as they ENTER the program, are useful in making sure that everyone understands the requirements (and expectations) from the start. We would hope that students who will never be able to complete a training program because of the kind of limitations you describe will understand that idea and consider other options. And there is nothing wrong with bringing such legitimate barriers to the attention of an incoming student. But saying "we won't let you try -- you can't come in and learn something unless we KNOW you can learn everything" -- that's a problem.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment